Cold Start

paulsp23

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi Paul,

We're going to need a little more information to help you out on this one.

When you say the car will not start, does that mean it starts eventually? Does it just keep turning over, and is it turning over quickly enough? As first to eliminate would be the battery. Charge the battery right up and see if it helps first.

If not, then it might be the glow-plugs, have you ever had them replaced? They help warm the diesel up on a cold morning (How cold are we talking?) so the car starts better.

If yours does start eventually and has a bunch of grey smoke when it starts I'd say it's probably glow plugs not working right (Changing them isn't too bad, I did a video on it if it's useful to you to try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vtGGp4Jqp8 ).

Other things, mine is a 2005 and does occasionally have a tough start, on a cold morning it'll start then cut out almost immediately. I'm suspecting either injectors or leaking return valve but not 100% sure on this one yet. Second crank and it's fine.

Hi Paul,

We're going to need a little more information to help you out on this one.

When you say the car will not start, does that mean it starts eventually? Does it just keep turning over, and is it turning over quickly enough? As first to eliminate would be the battery. Charge the battery right up and see if it helps first.

If not, then it might be the glow-plugs, have you ever had them replaced? They help warm the diesel up on a cold morning (How cold are we talking?) so the car starts better.

If yours does start eventually and has a bunch of grey smoke when it starts I'd say it's probably glow plugs not working right (Changing them isn't too bad, I did a video on it if it's useful to you to try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vtGGp4Jqp8 ).

Other things, mine is a 2005 and does occasionally have a tough start, on a cold morning it'll start then cut out almost immediately. I'm suspecting either injectors or leaking return valve but not 100% sure on this one yet. Second crank and it's fine.

Thanks for video. Mine is a 2001 are the glow plugs in same locations and how long did it take you

No problem, I'd assume they are in the same place in a 2001, they're easy to spot as in a Diesel they're the only things that look like spark plugs with the rubber boots over the top of them! You also don't need to dissassemble to spot them, a torch and looking with your head almost on the top of the radiator into the engine at an angle (behind the power steering bottle if yours has one there, or otherwise just to the right of the alternator).

Total time for mine was an afternoon (I've exaggerated, it's not a huge job). Give yourself plenty time like I say in the video, use WD40 and slowly to make sure you don't snap them if they've been in a long time.

Edited by andyb2000