Warning Chime Has Stopped Working

steviec2000

Question

Hi, I've had some recent work (routine service) and now the warning chime that used to sound if I had left the headlights on or forgotten my seatbelt now doesn't chime. It now doesn't chime for anything at all.

The garage that did the service are telling me they haven't done anything to cause this and are refusing to help.

I've tried disconnecting the battery and leaving for a while with no joy. What makes me think the garage have done something is that I telephoned them during the service to check when it would be completed, I could hear the chimes going continuously in the background now I think back to that call, but never thought anything at the time.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could have been disabled and how I can turn back on?

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

I think I'd be back at that garage asking for some answers.

Was it a dealership? As I *think* there is a control code that can be set on the ECU to disable this, so I'm wondering if they either did a software update that's not accepted the codes properly, or they sent a code to it to shut it up.

Either way, hard to see it's anything other than that, as to be honest I'd not know where to start looking for the little sounder that generates that noise as I don't think it comes through the speaker system in the car (and via the amplifier, etc) which makes me think it's a speaker inside the dashboard (It'll also be a speaker and tone generator as it's a generated 'bong' not a raw sounder derived 'bleep' or similar), so the other thing is they found this and disconnected the connector.

(I'm off to search manuals now to see where it is and where it's connected as I'm intrigued!)