Radio Signal No Good

Deano1324

Question

3 answers to this question

This is actually a pretty complex question, so we might need some more information.

Firstly, when you say signal is bad, in what way and what frequencies. FM, MW ?

Is it all radio stations with poor reception, or just ones in particular frequencies (e.g. above 100Mhz on FM?). The reason for this is that certain frequency bands have different characteristics and the higher Mhz sections are often more prone to interference (and in the UK that's why they're mainly used for Community or local radio, the big players all use frequencies lower in the range as they have better penetration power throughout the country)

What model radio and year of vehicle, I'm going to assume RB3 model (It's usually on the front somewhere, but the year and model will help identify)

It may be the connector at the back has slipped. If so, remove the surrounding panels (I'm working on some youtube videos for these steps so have a look at my channel shortly), unscrew the radio and slide it out, check the corner connector and you might see the problem, the connector isn't that great to be honest and if it's worked loose it'll drop your signal.

The other part, is the antenna is actually the coil on the rear right hand side window/vent. Check the cable going to it and make sure it's not been damaged or the window/glass damaged in any way, a break in that will cause it to fail pretty badly.

The final part would then be the wiring between the antenna in the window and the front unit. This would be difficult to test out, first steps would be continuity tests between the exposed contacts.