Replacing Turbo

darkchild101

Question

My mechanic has cleaned egr but the car is still smoking and he said turbo is leaking and something about a leak. He reckons turbo needs replaced. Now the car accelerates fine and stuff. Does this sound right

Is replacing the turbo easy and can I do it myself? How many hours woukd a mechanic need or how much wouldnit cost. He says he is too busy to do it now? I m thinking of getting second hand one. Really at my wits end

6 answers to this question

I replied to this but its went missing. Your smoke is prob due to dribbling injectors. Check inside boost hoses and intercooler for turbo oil leak as your mech says.

only prob you might have is sheared studs so soak them in releasal before job.

I replied to this but its went missing. Your smoke is prob due to dribbling injectors. Check inside boost hoses and intercooler for turbo oil leak as your mech says.

only prob you might have is sheared studs so soak them in releasal before job.

Sorry for what might be a stupid question but what or where are the studs :huh:

Darkchild - Did you fix the problem?  
I had a very smokey turbo on my 2003 Grand Voyager.  It took a fair number of hours but I took out the turbo, cleaned it up, sourced a refurb kit from Turborebuild (~£50) then sent the turbine and appropriate fittings off to them for a good balancing (~£50), and then refitted it!  Completely solved my problems!

I can thoroughly recommend Turborebuild - great and prompt service and very friendly.

cleardot.gif[email protected]