Water In My Spare Wheel Well

fleraflav

Question

I have a big leak in the boot of my car and cannot for the life of me fond where it's coming from. I have had the rubbers resealed and until this week there was no water. But now it's starting to fill up again. It's not a little water it fills right up. There are no signs of water in the actual boot just underneath. Anyone else had any problems?or any ideas of what's causing this?

19 answers to this question

Already done that with a jet wash, thought it was the number plate and rubber but sorted them both and was ok for about a month. So puzzled now. Thinking it may be the back light as the dealer replaced it when I first bought the car about 15 months ago and they haven't fitted it properly only just noticed it too so not much I can do about it, very irratating.

The Mk.3 Delta must have the easiest to remove back lights ever! I have taken my nearside one off loads of times trying to get several LED's to come back in to life.

Think I'm going to have to buy a new unit myself TBH. Remove the carpet-panel from behind the lights and reach in. There are just two hex bolt-fixings for want of a better word to remove the whole unit. Careful it does not drop out all of sudden and shatter. You will find it a good opportunity to clear the green moss and gunk that gathers at the light edges whilst its out. I'm going to seal mine better to stop that - not that mine leaks......................

Edited by Nello

flav if still around did you ever get this sorted? I'm working from home now mainly so the Delta is getting used less and less. It has been raining non-stop for an eternity where I live but I noticed the underside of the boot floor 'panel' (the one you lift up to get to the flat tyre gel) was wet? Not excessively so and around/underneath was dry? I have two Rugby playing lads who tend to leave half opened bottles of water rolling around in the boot so hoping its that but just in case...............

Edited by Nello

Like I say the surrounding areas (carpet on boot side etc) seem to be dry including the wheel well? Just the underside of the removable floor 'panel?'

Probably just condensation so???

If you know a painter with an oven, it would be worthwhile seeing if you can put your car in for an hour with the windows open

There should be a tapped hole right in the middle of the well under a stuck on piece of rubber.  IIRC there's a rubber bit underneath as well.

I put the spare wheel & tools insert thingy in from a Bravo, the hole is there for the bolt to clamp it all down.

Maybe the rubber bits have come off & it's water from the road coming up into the well?

Edited by Deltamike

hi, new to this but, i just find that I got water ingress from god knows where....wet is around third pillar ,on ceiling liner on left hand side.

strange thing is that there is no holes,damage on gaskets or any rubber there....car is usually tilted other way so no reason water to even get there.

but still ,soaking wet. Anyone had a problem like this ?

after few h. of working and removing stuff I am thinking that is :

- antenna on roof....

-back wiper pipe line damaged-- is still working and spraying lots of liquid....

-water finds way through hinge bolt....

i have put back all together and cleaned all gaskets and will wait and see if that will dry out.

for your well problem...there are few factory holes there....just pop plastic cap off and you will be ok.

also you should have 6 mm thread hole for spare tire fixing rod.