Looking To Buy

Alpine

Question

Hello 

I am tempted by a Delta, knowing that it is really a Lancia. 

Is there a buyer's guide or something? I don't know much about these cars. Are they built in Italy? 

I have seen this local to me, seems cheap but perhaps that is because of the mileage (although ideally I would prefer a manual, petrol).  https://www.suv4x4.co.uk/used-chrysler-delta-wetherby-yorkshire-2944921

8 answers to this question

Hi, welcome

Not sure if there is a buyer guide, but mechanically the car is similar to a Fiat Bravo II and both seem fairly reliable.The engines are used across a wide range of FCA products from Alfas to Fiat 500s and seem fairly robust and economical. The car is made in Italy but do not expect a thrill a minute Integrale experience, this Delta is more refined and almost an Italian Rover or Audi. The main issue is that people, even car buff do not have a clue what it is although passengers in mine seem quite impressed once inside. Have a search on Instagram for how good they do look inside and out.

That 'identity crisis' does make the car hard to price. There are only 900 or so on British roads so some are priced on how they look which can be high (see the £4k one on ebay, looks great) or quite cheaply as there is no real demand. At auction they will typically sell for around £1500. All cars are around 8 years old so expect some wear although mine at 123k miles is holding up rather well. Budget £300 or so for a cambelt at least.

Living with it is not a straight forward as Golf, indicator click is stupidly quiet, you have to fold the rear seat down to remove the parcel shelf as the tailgate is smaller than the shelf, no obvious place to put glasses or phone. The feedback from the road is set more toward isolation that the involvement of an Alfa, not as crisp and direct, but more refined. The radio is a let down, trim can be plasticy in places too.

On the plus side the driving position is good, engines have decent poke, the body shape still looks crisp and modern and owners of similar sized Mercs, Audis and BMWs do not have a clue what has zoomed past them. Get a remap and take on bigger cars, readily available as the engines are Alfa/Fiat. Parts cheap too for the mechanical stuff, just don't damage the body or interior. 

The one pictured is a base spec with an even more unloved semi auto gearbox with high is miles, at auction it would have been around £1k, OK for basic transport with a good discount but if the autobox goes wrong few will know how to fix, and probably due a belt change.

Now is a good time to get a Delta, market depressed, little demand, confused identity, but reliable basics, distinctive looks, nice colour combinations, smart interior, no signs of rust and prices rock bottom. Seek the best specced one you can find and haggle.

What is there not to like!

Edited by ForzaLancia

Hi, welcome

Not sure if there is a buyer guide, but mechanically the car is similar to a Fiat Bravo II and both seem fairly reliable.The engines are used across a wide range of FCA products from Alfas to Fiat 500s and seem fairly robust and economical. The car is made in Italy but do not expect a thrill a minute Integrale experience, this Delta is more refined and almost an Italian Rover or Audi. The main issue is that people, even car buff do not have a clue what it is although passengers in mine seem quite impressed once inside. Have a search on Instagram for how good they do look inside and out.

That 'identity crisis' does make the car hard to price. There are only 900 or so on British roads so some are priced on how they look which can be high (see the £4k one on ebay, looks great) or quite cheaply as there is no real demand. At auction they will typically sell for around £1500. All cars are around 8 years old so expect some wear although mine at 123k miles is holding up rather well. Budget £300 or so for a cambelt at least.

Living with it is not a straight forward as Golf, indicator click is stupidly quiet, you have to fold the rear seat down to remove the parcel shelf as the tailgate is smaller than the shelf, no obvious place to put glasses or phone. The feedback from the road is set more toward isolation that the involvement of an Alfa, not as crisp and direct, but more refined. The radio is a let down, trim can be plasticy in places too.

On the plus side the driving position is good, engines have decent poke, the body shape still looks crisp and modern and owners of similar sized Mercs, Audis and BMWs do not have a clue what has zoomed past them. Get a remap and take on bigger cars, readily available as the engines are Alfa/Fiat. Parts cheap too for the mechanical stuff, just don't damage the body or interior.

The one pictured is a base spec with an even more unloved semi auto gearbox with high is miles, at auction it would have been around £1k, OK for basic transport with a good discount but if the autobox goes wrong few will know how to fix, and probably due a belt change.

Now is a good time to get a Delta, market depressed, little demand, confused identity, but reliable basics, distinctive looks, nice colour combinations, smart interior, no signs of rust and prices rock bottom. Seek the best specced one you can find and haggle.

What is there not to like!

Great review!!!!

Great review above by Forzalancia. I would only emphasise the aspect 'space'. The car has enormous inside space, comparable to (or even bigger than) cars of larger category. Especially the space for back seat passengers is shocking.

In terms of performance, engines are very good. I have the 1.4 MA and although fuel consumption is a bit high, the engine has good responsiveness and surprisingly good acceleration, even when you are on 6th gear cruising leisurely on the motorway. Road feedback of course is light years back in comparison to an Alfa Romeo, steering feels imprecise and gear change less smooth, so coming from an Alfa GT I feel a bit "out of my waters", as it actually feels like a boat in comparison to the GT, although they have almost the same dimensions. But let us not forget that it is a completely different car, addressing different public.

In terms of design, the car beats hands down any 2020 model and the Platino version with the 18" wheels is just astonishingly beautiful. The car that you sent on the link is the 'argento' basic version (not sure how it is called in the UK), I would wait to get a higher spec version. Don't bother with the navi-radio, it is useless by modern standards.

An important aspect to take into consideration is who is going to service it, in continental Europe FIAT network is extensive, not sure how it is in the UK.

Edited by kapetanikolas

I've owned mine for about 2 years now having wanted one for a long time. It's my first foray in to Italian car ownership and, so far, has been a pleasant experience. A pleasure to own

I have the 1.6 diesel in SR trim. I bought mine as a private sale  with 48000 on the clock. It was up at £3800, but I haggled £400 off the cover the timing belt and water pump. 

Worth remembering that the diesel engines are also shared with some Vauxhall / Opel models, so that should help parts supply.

If I was to fit into a 'default' car box, it would always have to be Alfa Romeo... However it's been 18 months since I sold my Delta and I do still miss it, so that tells you something!

Mine like TJB'S was a 1.6jtdm SR, and even after nearly 5 years ownership I still enjoyed driving it. Sure not as dynamic as an Alfa, or even as pretty to look at, but they do have many many great things about them. The quirky left-field look always gets admiring or confused glances, but I love the fact you can do a 200 mile journey and not see another! That uniqueness is worth the price tag alone, as there's nothing worse in my book than driving what all the other 'sheeples' drive!

I think the guys have covered most things except to say there's nothing else in it's category that represents such good value. If you haven't already...Buy one!