Radiator Fan With No Blades

cerbie

Question

Hello

After a long trip yesterday I was drawn to lifting the bonnet today for some reason, everything looked good until I noticed a piece of plastic at the bottom of one of the radiator fans.

Further investigation found that the fan was completely stripped of blades some of which were at the bottom of the housing, anyone know of any logical reason for this (all my sockets and screw drivers are present) and what would be the cheapest and easiest way of repairing it?

Thanks

Graeme

2003 Chrysler Voyager LX 3.3L

2 answers to this question

Plastics degrade with age & thermal stress.

Remember they wizzes around at a great rate of knots - yours by implication is at least 16 / 17 years old (2019 - 2003), so it has had a good life.

Once one blade is shed - it may well catch another blade and knock it - damaging the T connecting it to the disc / hub ... etc etc

Don't be tempted to fit a metal fan if it was a plastic one - as they have the suicidal tendencies of costing you a new radiator as well. 

Kind regards

Penguin

Thank you for the prompt response Penguin, having thought about it we have been travelling through Spain over the last few years sometimes at 40C + so not surprising I guess, I was just surprised at what I found.

I have replaced the said fan with a new (old) one and everything is back to normal with not too much damage to the radiator. See pic.

Thanks

Graeme

post-2992-0-32009400-1569938051_thumb.jpg