Engine Light On

Victorthevoyager

Question

Hi, the engine light has come on in our 2005 2.8 CRD Grand Voyager. I tried switching the ignition on and off quickly 3 times to see the fault code but nothing was displayed. The car drives fine apart from a little hesitation at times when asking for sharp acceleration from a standstill but it has done that for the best part of the 3 years we have owned it. Is there a trick to get the fault code displayed, or do some faults not show a code? We need to use the car as our daughter and grandchildren arrive this week for a two week holiday. As it’s currently driving fine is it safe to use?

12 answers to this question

I would persevere with the key turn trick, have you got it to work in the past.

My engine light comes on regularly and it seems to be either fuel pressure or egr valve. Neither seem to have any effect on the car at all. The only problem I have is the light comes on that often I've got a little complacent with it.

When either of these issues cause the light to come on it clears after a few starts, I think third time I start it after the light comes on but it may be four.

If you can get the codes someone on here will help you though.

Cheers

Dave

Have a look at this. The trick is to not go all the way to either end when you turn the key.

Also I think you leave it at on the last time, not sure though.

I’m not sure what you mean by not going all the way to either end. I watched the video and did the same as in the video but still no fault code. I haven’t done this before as I used to have a tablet with torque pro on it but now I have an iPad and no torque pro, hence my attempt to get the code using the ignition key.

When the key is turned all the way anticlockwise it is in accessory mode and all the way clockwise is start, don't go as far as these two. I'm not at the car at the minute or I could probably explain better.

Have you managed to read codes in the past on the voyager. I have a cheap Bluetooth reader and it won't talk to the car.

Your welcome M8, we all,l from time to time come here for help.

Reproduced from 2012 below :

http://i.imgur.com/CGmImHg.png

The dance is the timing [knack] between moves in milliseconds between the OFF and ON position. Brain in gear, patience, it works in milliseconds, practice. NOTE that the OFF is one clockwise from the LOCK position and the LOCK position is the only position from which you can withdraw or insert the key into the barrel.

Hi Guys, Thanks to you all for your help. Unfortunately, no matter how quickly or slowly I did the key thing it wouldn’t display a fault code so I took the car to my local friendly garage. The engine fault light was on when I arrived but when the mechanic connected his kit to the car and switched the ignition on the fault cleared and there was nothing in the fault history either! So, I’m non the wiser about what the fault was and, with luck, it won’t return. Once again, thanks very much for the help and advice.

Paul