Top Front Suspension Mounts

biscuit

Question

Fellow Voyagers I need to replace the front top suspension mounts on my 2.8crd, any advice as to which make to get as there are lots on line with a vast difference in prices. Secondly the rear window is bloody awful in anything other than dry conditions for getting covered in wet stuff. Before any comments yes I do use the rear wiper, but has anyone come across something to keep the window clearer or is it a case of put up with it? Thanks for any help.

5 answers to this question

As with everything you gets what you pays for and as an old boss of mine was fond of saying only budgies go cheep! The suspension takes a beating on a heavy vehicle so try to get oem or at least something recognisable from a trader not best top notch Chinese only £1 today. Keeping the rear screen clear on a blunt back end is never gong to happen. Any estate van etc will always suck muck so just keep wiping. 

I’ve recently replaced the front strut. Firstly I got one from eBay for £10 and then £15 postage. Ideal I thought. Took the old assembly out and compressed the spring but the nut tonkerpnthe top hat on was seized. As it had been rattling around for months before I decided to do anything about it I looked at carparts4less and even with my mate who works for them the cheapest for a strut and a bearing was £130. Looked online for parts and found rockauto in the US. New strut, spring and bearing all fully assembled was £100. If I had payed the import duty when I payed for the assembly then I would have saved my self £12. Took 2 weeks as I wasn’t in a rush so paid for economy delivery. Took 25 minutes to fit. Didn’t remove the wipers or scuttle panel like I did the first time around. As I knew where all the bolts were. Even with delivery and import charges most of the stuff on there works out cheaper than here. A new alternator is £160 all in and the cheapest I can find here is close on £250.

Not any info on the suspension apart from I know the springs are humongous and tend not to fit in a spring compressor so advise take it to a garage and pay them

As for the rear window I had problem with like a gritty build up that just seemed to get worse the more I cleaned and polished it

Until I experimented with McGuires clay bar detailing kit

About £20 from Halfords

Squirt on the juice rub over with clay buff off excess juice polish after

Done the whole car and all paint work came up like crystal glass finish

Worth every penny

Not any info on the suspension apart from I know the springs are humongous and tend not to fit in a spring compressor so advise take it to a garage and pay them

As for the rear window I had problem with like a gritty build up that just seemed to get worse the more I cleaned and polished it

Until I experimented with McGuires clay bar detailing kit

About £20 from Halfords

Squirt on the juice rub over with clay buff off excess juice polish after

Done the whole car and all paint work came up like crystal glass finish

Worth every penny