Hello Lancia, Goodbye Chrysler

TJB

Question

…. and so it begins.... Grille, rear badge and wheel centres all fitted. The little Lancia shields for the rear quarters are on their way from Italy. Just the interior stuff to source now.

And on Tuesday she goes in for a service, new belts and water pump. :)

qrQBHlg.jpg

trGrNqZ.jpg

As I was passing Loch Lomond, it seemed rude not to stop for a Kodak moment...

AMh4TyH.jpg

aQEJMDC.jpg

Edited by TJB

The spring clips can be hard to locate by feel at the back of the steering wheel. From memory you'll need to break the seal as the leather covers the holes. Use a flat blade screwdriver (long one) to poke down the holes to locate the spring clips, and once you think you can feel them at the end of the driver push firmly and you feel one side release...obvs repeat for the second one too.

Edited by MikeyRules

The spring clips can be hard to locate by feel at the back of the steering wheel. From memory you'll need to break the seal as the leather covers the holes. Use a flat blade screwdriver (long one) to poke down the holes to locate the spring clips, and once you think you can feel them at the end of the driver push firmly and you feel one side release...obvs repeat for the second one too.

If I remember correctly, someone here suggested using a 3mm flat end Allen key to unclip the airbag retaining spring? Well it was good advice and has saved me a lot of grief !!!!

If I remember correctly, someone here suggested using a 3mm flat end Allen key to unclip the airbag retaining spring? Well it was good advice and has saved me a lot of grief !!!!

Thanks for the advice. Did anyone have any issues after swapping over? Warning lights etc.

No providing you power down the car properly you should be fine.

OK, Thanks. I've done this a few times on my MG ZTs and Rover 75s when I've had to strip an interior. I guess it's just the usual disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes, or is there something more to it on the Delta?

OK, Thanks. I've done this a few times on my MG ZTs and Rover 75s when I've had to strip an interior. I guess it's just the usual disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes, or is there something more to it on the Delta?

Same thing really, after the 20 minutes I like to join the positive and negative leads together with a single jump-lead, just to ensure full discharge of any errant capacitor!

That's the airbag swapped over. Didn't take very long at all. The new one from Italy had the right connectors, so it's all good.

I did have a slightly worrying moment after I re-connected the battery and started the car; all sorts of warnings flashed up on the MFD. However after I'd driven a few feet and turned the steering wheel they all went away. I've stopped and re-started the car since and it hasn't done it again. I guess it was re-learning stuff after the battery disconnect

Yeah that's all normal Tim. Doesn't it make a massive difference having a Lancia badge in front of you!

I stopped after all exterior badges, sill plates and airbag. I meant to do the engine cover and headrests but never got round to it. I even tried to find the setting in Examiner to change the the start up file to Lancia on the info display. But for some reason couldn't find it.

Yeah that's all normal Tim. Doesn't it make a massive difference having a Lancia badge in front of you!

I stopped after all exterior badges, sill plates and airbag. I meant to do the engine cover and headrests but never got round to it. I even tried to find the setting in Examiner to change the the start up file to Lancia on the info display. But for some reason couldn't find it.

I'd like to do the kick plates. Mine have carbon fibre effect vinyl wrap over them at the moment. I did see a nice set on Amazon, but they're out of stock. Headrests I'd do if a set turned up at the right price. I had a right result with the air bag, it was literally brand new, still in a sealed FCA box. £120 delivered.

Where did you get the C-Pillar logos and how easy was it to replace? Mine have faded and look gross :(

Apologies for not replying sooner, here is the eBay link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-STEMMA-LANCIA-DELTA-MONTANTE-PORTIERA-POSTERIORE-ORIGINALE-logo-fregio-emblem/261698453162

Mine was a Chrysler delta, so no C Pillar logos originally. They are just stuck on, so warm them up with a hot air gun or hair dryer and use a piece of fine nylon string to pull behing them and lift them off. then clean any residue off with some Panel Wipe or nail varnish remover.

Edited by TJB

Think I'm done with the re-badging now.

I wanted to cover the "wings" on the head rests, but most of the Lancia patches I found were too small, so I found these Momo ones that are a perfect size.

W4jaEp9.jpg

I kept the same theme going for the kick plates:

9d0cqyu.jpg

...matching one of my favourite wrist watches :) :

eQeKdJH.jpg

I also knocked something up for the engine cover with carbon fibre wrap and a wheel centre badge, may have to re-think this later, but it does for now:

kcWp133.jpg

So, other than the MFD logo, I think I'm about done.

In other news, I've replaced the air filter with a K&N item. At least I won't have to do that job again for a while. Replaced the pollen filter as well, what a pig of a job that is.

Edited by TJB

Think I'm done with the re-badging now.

I wanted to cover the "wings" on the head rests, but most of the Lancia patches I found were too small, so I found these Momo ones that are a perfect size.

W4jaEp9.jpg

I kept the same theme going for the kick plates:

9d0cqyu.jpg

...matching one of my favourite wrist watches :) :

eQeKdJH.jpg

I also knocked something up for the engine cover with carbon fibre wrap and a wheel centre badge, may have to re-think this later, but it does for now:

kcWp133.jpg

So, other than the MFD logo, I think I'm about done.

In other news, I've replaced the air filter with a K&N item. At least I won't have to do that job again for a while. Replaced the pollen filter as well, what a pig of a job that is.

All good work!

Bar the K&N . . Is it oiled or dry?

In my experience the oiled ones burn out the hot wire airflow meters

Edited by Andrewgrale

Good work TJB - The headrests have not bothered me too much as there is no Chrysler wording and no-one seems to know what that 'wing' is anyway. I have some Lancia patches I still have not got around to stick on. What did you attach the MOMO ones with? 

All good work!

Thanks.Good question re. the filter, I honestly don't know. It was the correct one for the car from K&N direct. Having used them in the past, this one didn't feel oily.

Good work TJB - The headrests have not bothered me too much as there is no Chrysler wording and no-one seems to know what that 'wing' is anyway. I have some Lancia patches I still have not got around to stick on. What did you attach the MOMO ones with? 

Thanks, I used double sided carpet fixing tape, it sticks well to the back of the iron-on patch and, if briefly warmed up first with a hot air gun, sticks well to the head rest.

Looks great fella! Top work!

I keep looking at the headrests and the engine cover, but haven't got around to either yet.

Thanks. I think if the "right" bits turn up at the right money, I'll probably swap them, but I'm happy with it as it is.

All good work!

Andrewgrale, you did spook me a bit re. the K&N. I've used the before in my cars when I did an awful lot more miles than I do now (Accord VTEC Coupe, Rover Tomcat, MG ZT, Celica) and never had an issue. I only fitted one because of the god-awful rigmarole changing them seems to be on the Delta, so a fit and forget for 4 to 5 years seemed a good idea. I did a bit of digging and the problem seems to arise when users clean, then over-oil them. K&N recommend cleaning every 50k, which on my current annual mileage is about 5 years away. The car will also be over 100k by then, so I think I'll take the risk :)

Thanks. I think if the "right" bits turn up at the right money, I'll probably swap them, but I'm happy with it as it is.

Andrewgrale, you did spook me a bit re. the K&N. I've used the before in my cars when I did an awful lot more miles than I do now (Accord VTEC Coupe, Rover Tomcat, MG ZT, Celica) and never had an issue. I only fitted one because of the god-awful rigmarole changing them seems to be on the Delta, so a fit and forget for 4 to 5 years seemed a good idea. I did a bit of digging and the problem seems to arise when users clean, then over-oil them. K&N recommend cleaning every 50k, which on my current annual mileage is about 5 years away. The car will also be over 100k by then, so I think I'll take the risk :)

My apologies for spooking you TJB, I am speaking from experience as I had a K&N in one of my Marea JTDs and it was never serviced (ie as factory supplied) and it was responsible for burning out 2 hotwire MAFs over 40k miles before I switched back to the standard filter for the remaining 120k I did in that car on the 3rd MAF

My apologies for spooking you TJB, I am speaking from experience as I had a K&N in one of my Marea JTDs and it was never serviced (ie as factory supplied) and it was responsible for burning out 2 hotwire MAFs over 40k miles before I switched back to the standard filter for the remaining 120k I did in that car on the 3rd MAF

Ah, OK. As I said, the Google search I did on the issue did pick it up, but seemed to attribute the problem to Cleaned, then over-oiled filters in all cases. Obviously that's not been your experience. I did notice that this filter seemed less "oily" than previous ones I've had. Others have left traces of oil on the cellophane when unwrapped but this one didn't.