Advise On Steering Issue

Birima

Question

Hello,

Just signed up from the Netherlands looking for some advice. Been an Italian car lover for quite a while I drove the old Delta, different Lybra's and Alfa 147 all diesel powered. 

Just a few weeks ago I have now bought a beautiful Lancia Delta 2.0 Platino Evo with 175.000 km's on the meter. I am very content with it but one thing really bothers me. While on the highway straight ahead I've found the electric power steering vague and exhausting. On the long run and especially with roadworks i.e. narrow lanes I feel I have to adjust the steering wheel all the time. I should add that this is the first car I own with electrical power steering instead of hydraulic power steering.

Having checked out the www I have found similar complaints from Grande Punto owners but information about the Delta is scarce.

My car is equipped with 18 inch 225 x 40 x 18 Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres. My question now is, does anybody recognize this steering behavior, is it a product feature or can it get better choosing different tires since the Dunlops are too sporty, or any other possible solution?

Would like to hear opinions.

Thanks in advance.

12 answers to this question

Yes Welcome - great to hear from another owner. Follow what Andrew says - I have not experienced this at all but its normally an issue with rubber. The handling and steering effect on these cars is not exactly precise - too light with not alot of feel. At the risk of stating the obvious - you are not stuck in 'City' steering ,mode are you? That makes the wheel even lighter but again should not make it 'tramline'.............

Edited by Nello

Thank you all for replies.

The handling and steering effect on these cars is not exactly precise - too light with not alot of feel. At the risk of stating the obvious - you are not stuck in 'City' steering ,mode are you? 

As a reference it's good to know that they're not exactly precise, so I know I probably have to get used and adjust my expectations. The 'City' steering is not active when speeding over 30 km's an hour even when the button is active.

As said, I don't like the sporty tires but they're too good for change yet. When worn out I will first seek tires (ideas welcome) known for comfort, I hope to report back after changing them. If that doesn't help alignment would be the next step.

Hi Guys,

A little late but never too late. For future readers and reference I let you know that my problem has been solved.

Despite her perfect looks when bought, the car needed som serious maintenance like rubbers and control arm included cam belt change and tires (Pirelli's). 

The strange 'spaces' if felt when steering have disappeared.   

Cheers

Dutch Lancia Delta 2.0 Evo

Hi Guys,

A little late but never too late. For future readers and reference I let you know that my problem has been solved.

Despite her perfect looks when bought, the car needed som serious maintenance like rubbers and control arm included cam belt change and tires (Pirelli's).

The strange 'spaces' if felt when steering have disappeared.

Cheers

That's great news :-D

Glad you are sorted and enjoying the driving

Dear Birima, I have the same tyre size as you (with Bridgestone Potenzas -  and the same wheels by the way that i find awesome) and I am obliged to concur. The steering is quite imprecise, on top of this, when I turn the steering wheel right or left all the way i hear a bang like something hits on something at the end of the cycle. On my Alfa Romeo GT I have the same wheel size and although the car is already 15y old, the steering is phenomenal in comparison to the one of the Delta... possibly my car needs repair as yours did.

Dear Kapetanikolas,

I just checked the invoice to see what was exactly replaced concerning the steering. The total bill was way more but not related to the steering problem:

New tires Pirelli 225/40/18 P Zero Nero

Steering ball inside, R

Support arm, L + R

The bang you hear may be related to an extremely worn out Steering ball?  I remember my own made also clunky noises turning the wheel  stationary.  It's hard to say in your own case and I am not a car technician. Still it may show you the direction where to start looking.

Good luck and best regards,

Robert

I too have 18in wheels and have found swapping the rubber for Pirelli P7 has improved things considerably. Gone is the harsh ride and the steering is more precise, although not up to the standard of the Alfa GT which was superb, but certainly much better than the Punto my daughter had. I still have more work to do on the ride quality as my front dampers are very hard, and I really should have gone up a tyre size to offset my lowered springs, to fill the arch and provide a bit more comfort, or I could just fit Bravo springs.    

Edited by ForzaLancia