Ryanjb2014

Question

Hi, I'm pretty new to the forum, and just wondered if anyone had had any experience fitting an aftermarket stereo/sat nav to a Delta before - I was looking at one of the new Pioneer CarPlay Apple ones, but Halfords removed the facia in my Delta and said it was impossible to fit (their exact words) - even with the double din facia I'd bought. So, has anyone else ever tried (and/or failed)? Or is it possible to install a manufacturer sat nav (if purchased) that would've come in a higher specification Delta?

Thanks, Ryan.

Hi to all with Navplus,

Since I fitted an inline amplifier on the aerial cable I get fair to good FM radio reception. I would like DAB but feel that to strip out the Navplus and throw it away to spend around £300 on a double din unit and all the appropriate fitting kits would not be worth the expense. However, that's not my question today.

Reversing vision on the Delta is really crappy in my view (no pun intended) so I am considering the fitting of a rear camera. Last time I had the Navplus unit out I noticed a thin single lead marked "camera" so does anyone out there with Navplus know if it is as simple as connecting this to a camera with "ground" providing the other leg plus connecting the power leads for the camera to the reverse light?

Any advice is welcomed with many thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod,

I bought a camera recently for my Navplus, but haven't got around to fitting it yet. The last time I fitted one it was really simple, in that the camera replaces one of your rear reg plate light fittings. It still has a down light as part of the camera, so you don't lose one. The hardest part was running the cable through the boot lid cable into the roofline of the car body. As you stated the power and ground run to the reverse light and the video cable runs the length of the car to the back of the Navplus.

In theory when reverse is selected it should power up the camera, and the picture should override whatever is currently on the screen. Well at least that's how it worked in my Discovery. When soldering the connection to the rear light cluster loom, make sure you use some shrink cable wrap around the joins...

Edited by MikeyRules

Just as an aside and to aid future people looking for UK Sat Nav for their Navplus here is the link to the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221900662398?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is by iGo Primo, just like the pre-installed maps of Italy that come supplied with the unit from new. The maps cover the whole of Europe and the UK and to install you simply insert the micro SD card into the unit and the maps self install. The benefit is that they work straight away without any configuration and the Nav button on the front of the unit already points to this location, so no further set-up is required.

It's a great product and a bargain at £20! p.s. I have nothing to do with the seller and only stumbled across it while doing a search for iGo sat nav.

Was it ever determined if it's possible to install aftermarket double din into a non-NAV model?

I have a pioneer Android Auto unit, the steering wheel stalk connector, a patch lead, an aerial adaptor and a gain boost for FM. I also have the connect2 fascia kit. I notice that a few people couldn't figure out how to remove the single din sized cage, so before I drop it in to get fitted, it'd be nice to know if it's even possible....

Was it ever determined if it's possible to install aftermarket double din into a non-NAV model?

I have a pioneer Android Auto unit, the steering wheel stalk connector, a patch lead, an aerial adaptor and a gain boost for FM. I also have the connect2 fascia kit. I notice that a few people couldn't figure out how to remove the single din sized cage, so before I drop it in to get fitted, it'd be nice to know if it's even possible....

Yes it is. Mine was a standard radio/cd head unit, and now it's the double din Navplus.  

The cables are the main issue in that the new loom is bulky and is in the way when you push the new unit home into the double din hole. Space for the cables is tight and you have to try and tuck them further into the dash in order for the head unit to completely seat properly.

I must admit I don't really remember any problems, or specifically removing the single din cage either as it was a few years ago now. But I've fitted load of double din units over the years and don't remember this being any more awkward than any other.

Hey no problem at all fella, always happy to help :)

Ryan their own website is here (in English too): http://www.almigliorprezzo.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55

If like me you hadn't already had a Nav unit in as standard you'll need an extra cable loom with the Cambus box, but they'll include that too...

So far I've been really impressed with it as it's the same as having an Android tablet but fitted in your dash.

The only niggles I have so far are when you open the drivers door it shows the passenger one open and vice versa? Weirdly though the rear doors show the right way around?

Secondly the ''iGo Primo navigation only has Italy pre-installed so you have to go to the 'Naviextras' website and purchase 'Europe'. Now because I don't know what the real brand is behind Navplus I'm not able to select the right version of compatible Sat Nav software... So I'm going to email them and ask a few questions.

I have downloaded Google Maps and Navigation which is free and works well, but you need to have the unit tethered to your android phone (internet access) for it to work..

There is also a 'factory' menu option available on one of the screens, but it's password protected and I think things like default preferences are hidden there, so for example setting the unit to right hand drive...  Anyway we're only over the hills from each other, so if you wanted to have a look before you buy you're more than welcome to come and have a play.

Hi, I am good adding maps, languages, new version of igo, if you want them free of charge, let me know...

The only problem is distance, but with cloud I am sure we will find a way.

As per the door, if you are good with using a multimeter otherwise an electrician should be able to do it, find the wires that gives the signal from the doors to the unit and swap them, or if you eventually get to the hidden settings it might be the case of telling the unit which side you're driving, I assume. Also, now doesn't it show you the exits on European sides, when I use my old Garmin does that, I have to switch the driving side for it to show... next exit on your right.

Hope it helps.

Hi, I am good adding maps, languages, new version of igo, if you want them free of charge, let me know...

The only problem is distance, but with cloud I am sure we will find a way.

As per the door, if you are good with using a multimeter otherwise an electrician should be able to do it, find the wires that gives the signal from the doors to the unit and swap them, or if you eventually get to the hidden settings it might be the case of telling the unit which side you're driving, I assume. Also, now doesn't it show you the exits on European sides, when I use my old Garmin does that, I have to switch the driving side for it to show... next exit on your right.

Hope it helps.

Hi Mike, thx for the offer re new versions of IGO. I've stopped using IGO as all versions seem to have an inherent fault where they takes ages to find any satellites and therefore locate your position! I've had about 3 different versions and the internet is full of people complaining about the same issue. 

I never did manage to get into the hidden settings menu as the supplier didn't have a clue and I gave up trying to find the manufacturer in China.

The other issues are that the units RAM is too small really, and it can be slow if you have too many Apps installed, plus it's only running version 4.2 of Android with no way of upgrading to a later version, and to make matters worse it's the tablet version so some Apps aren't compatible...

All that aside it does the basics well but think if I was doing it all again I'd go down the tried and tested route of using Kenwood or Pioneer head units which use Garmin navigation.

Edited by MikeyRules

Sorry Stuart can't help you with a 'take your car apart manual' I'm afraid to say...

The four button control unit does come apart really easily although you do end up literally taking it to pieces. It does back together simply enough though when you come to re-attach it to your new fascia.

I didn't need to remove the metal cradle unfortunately as my new unit was also single DIN at the back.

Hi, you will find this link very useful, was posted by someone else on the forum, I just borrowed it.

http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service%20Manuals/

Hi Mike, thx for the offer re new versions of IGO. I've stopped using IGO as all versions seem to have an inherent fault where they takes ages to find any satellites and therefore locate your position! I've had about 3 different versions and the internet is full of people complaining about the same issue. 

I never did manage to get into the hidden settings menu as the supplier didn't have a clue and I gave up trying to find the manufacturer in China.

The other issues are that the units RAM is too small really, and it can be slow if you have too many Apps installed, plus it's only running version 4.2 of Android with no way of upgrading to a later version, and to make matters worse it's the tablet version so some Apps aren't compatible...

All that aside it does the basics well but think if I was doing it all again I'd go down the tried and tested route of using Kenwood or Pioneer head units which use Garmin navigation.

I used to have, still do on some cars, android on my cars but the problem I had( more as a discomfort really), was that when in a 7-8 exits roundabout I was getting a phone call...very stressful, or on a next turn on 200 miles somewhere in Germany, when I was getting closer ( totally forgetting about how high  the satnav sound was), I would hear a loud voice inside the car saying in 2 miles keep right...that was scary specially in the  middle of the night when the radio volume is very low.  Anyway, over the years, I found out that best is to have a satnav in the corner of the dash, a Bluetooth nicely hidden and a radio with the steering wheel controls..and if the car is fitted with the cruise control even better.

However, I did upgrade few phones from 4.2 to 4.4 and even to 5.1 OS, they needed to be rooted to be able to do that...never on a car stereo though... and yes Garmin is the best navigation system I could find on the market.

I used to have, still do on some cars, android on my cars but the problem I had( more as a discomfort really), was that when in a 7-8 exits roundabout I was getting a phone call...very stressful, or on a next turn on 200 miles somewhere in Germany, when I was getting closer ( totally forgetting about how high  the satnav sound was), I would hear a loud voice inside the car saying in 2 miles keep right...that was scary specially in the  middle of the night when the radio volume is very low.  Anyway, over the years, I found out that best is to have a satnav in the corner of the dash, a Bluetooth nicely hidden and a radio with the steering wheel controls..and if the car is fitted with the cruise control even better.

However, I did upgrade few phones from 4.2 to 4.4 and even to 5.1 OS, they needed to be rooted to be able to do that...never on a car stereo though... and yes Garmin is the best navigation system I could find on the market.

Yeah I know what you mean about roundabouts... The IGO is really bad at updating quickly enough at roundabouts so it's not always clear which exit to take as the map sometimes hasn't caught up with the actual position of the car!

I'm not sure I can be bothered to route the unit as it's too slow. I have used APK files before now side loaded, and that gets around the android version and tablet problem for some apps, but again a painful experience... I'm using a Garmin in the corner of the windscreen like you know for long journeys for the very same reasons.

@MikeRules do you have a Kenwood unit? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the process of upgrading my stock stereo and looking for a good one.

From my research Kenwood is a good option. But can't make up my mind. All the reviews I've read so far are hype garbage. Actually I've tracked down a site that tells it how it is. I was eyeing the Kenwood DMX7706S unit thanks to the review.

Can you tell me how bad the is the screen glare? What about the price is there enough value to justify it?

I'm open for suggestions

Hi James, wow this is an old thread resurrection lol.

I'm not familiar with that exact Kenwood model, but functionally they're all pretty similar. Get one with DAB radio if your budget allows, built in Nav is better than using your phone via Android Auto/Apple carplay as you won't kill your data allowance... Glare onscreen in the Delta isn't really a problem as it's mounted high up in the dash, and most of them have night mode, and colour coding with the dash illumination.

Kenwood and Pioneer are mostly great if following the above logic, but there have been a few Sony and JVC units in recent times that have been good too. Hope that helps ?

Time to resurrect this auld thread again :D

I have managed to get the SatNav headunit from a Delta SR NAV M-Jet.  Considering  my Delta has the original single din unit, is there a different loom or wiring that I'd need to swap these two?  Or are the connections the same and is just a case of one in/one out and good to go? Do I need to upgrade aerial or some additional antenna to get the SatNav signals?