Faded Door Pillers

Eightpint

Question

When i brought my car the first thing I noticed were how faded the plastic piller trims were and the 2 trims that run down the sides of the front windscreen were just as bad, you can buy the trim cover replacements for the doors that also supply the triangle sections on the back doors mainly in chrome and black if you can find them, I wanted black as my car is silver but none available at the time. So brought some black vinyl and started with the pillers, I removed the trim from the car so I could lose the vinyl wrap around the back of the trim. Then I did the two triangle bits on the back doors again removing from the doors, I was very pleased with the result that I did the door mirror sections and finally removed the front windscreen trims and vinyl wrapped them, with time and patience I was very happy with the result..they have been on the car for over a year now and still look brand new, all for the cost of £20. Makes a big difference to the car and well worth the effort.

17 answers to this question

Hi Wonder if you can tell me how the front windscreen parts come off! Do they just lift? Not feeling brave enough to just start tugging away at them and blacking them every week is driving me nuts! I did the door pillars and rear doors with some stainless steel and 3M tape which has worked just fine but terrified of pulling bits off of this car as they do tend to break, a lot..Any and all help most welcome. Cheers.

Hi,

The trims come off quite easily with patience, I used a flat scraper and flathead screwdriver, the trim is held on by 3 clips, once you start prying the screwdriver all the way down the trim you will feel where the clips are, I released the top clip then slowly worked down gently as I went released the other two. The trim literally pops out of the clips.

In fact one of the clips snapped off the bodywork, the clip was fine it was the pop rivet snapped so I drilled out the rivet and replaced it with another, job done. Good luck

Looks great! I like your idea! I'll consider doing my own vinyl wrap project as well but will probably seek some professional help from Gatorwraps.[/size]

The hardest bit was getting the trim off the car, the vinyl wrap was quite easy as the trim bits were relatively flat to work with.

How's the weather in S.D, I love the states, got married in Vegas many years ago and wasn't even drunk.

After reading this my faded door pillars started to annoy me. So I masked them off as well as the triangles on the back doors and I sprayed them with Halfords satin black. Looks good right now, hope it still looks good after the winter.

Some great ideas on here, you with the spray and another with shoe polish, I ain't good with a rattle can though...