2.8 Diesel Auto 2006 Starting Problems

Stevek83

evening, I have had a starting problem with my grand voyager since I bought it a year ago that has know come to a head. I have had a very random starting problem, where sometimes you get in and it would fire up straight away, but sometimes it would just crank over, I took the key out and started again till eventually it started. It was very random in terms of when it used to do it, it could go minutes, hours or a day with out a problem or it could do it all the time. I have changed the battery to a fancy gel one, two starter motors, crank and cam shaft sensors, new fuel filter and primer part on top. ( when this was changed it was perfect for a week, then all of a sudden back to normal.) since then priming the fuel guaranteed a start. Now nothing works it just cranks and cranks. There is one of the injector tops that's a bit damp and discoloured but when running the car runs perfect. Can anyone advise and help me I am loosing the will with this car I have never loved and hated a car so much at the same time. Tia

Silly question - going back to the fuel filter.....

Is this still 'clean'?

HAs it any condensate in?

If so you may have picked up a duff load of diesel, and as a result if the tank is getting low - fuel floats on water ..... you suck through water until it gets churned up...

Worthwhile having a look at a) state of fuel filter, & B) try taking a sample of fuel - more difficult these days because of the anti-siphon kit, but you can get around this,with a bit of lateral thinking.

Penguin