Rust Proofing

David

Question

Hi

I've owned a 1.6 mjet for the last year or so, and very much like it and hope to keep it long term.

I'm toying with the idea of rust proofing it, either having it professionally done or perhaps doing it myself.

Has anyone used Rustbuster near Spalding? They estimate £420-£450 including VAT using Dinitrol materials and seem to be  well established. My slight concern about using them is that they steam wash the underside the day before spraying ( which seems a bit counter intuitive really - although I can see the need for cleaning and neutralizing any rust/ road salt deposits). Also, there are more recently formulated waxes available for DIY (e.g. Bilt-Hamber and Noxudol) which seem to do better in tests.

On the downside of doing it myself, I have not tried removing interior door panels and have no idea whether, if I leave them in situ, I will end up coating something that should not be coated! There is also the small matter of raising the car...about which the handbook is no help at all!

Is there anyone who has done this before and can comment?

Thanks

7 answers to this question

Like you am getting quite attached to the car so may have to keep it longer than originally expected.  I have noticed some surface rust appearing on sub frame and suspension components.

I do use Dinitrol rust proofing cavity wax on another "hobby" car and have sprayed around inside box sections through drain holes.

There are quite a number of rubber grommet covered holes on the Delta which would allow you to do the same and the drain holes in the bottom of the doors, hatch lid etc are quite large so wouldn't get blocked if you sprayed through there.  All of which would be accessible without lifting the car.

Products like Noxudol seem to be about 1/2-2/3rds the price of Dinitrol.

Looking at the wheel arches they seemed to be lined with some open-cell foam, I guess to reduce road noise, and I would be concerned if a garage just sprayed over the top of them.

Overall I agree with Rossocorsa.

Hi David and welcome to the exclusive Delta club!

I'm with Rosso in that I wouldn't consider this an issue yet, and would only go to the trouble if I was keeping the car for the long term. Modern FCA cars are double dipped so in theory won't rot from the inside out like they used too, so it's only where road grime and salt attach the exposed bits...

Instead if you haven't already spend the money putting your beautiful car back to being Lancia! :P

Many thanks for the comments and welcome.

The Delta has turned out to be quite a rare car in the UK from the outset and I'd like mine to survive in the long term if possible (whether I own it or not). I feel that it may therefore be best to try and take  active steps towards that now rather than 5 years down the line. I was interested to hear about the foam in the wheel arches Mike...have you had the wheel arch liners off to discover this and if so, where are the suitable points to jack the car up?

As regards Lancia badging etc. I always think of our Delta as a Lancia (that's one of the main things that attracted me) and I certainly agree that the re-badged ones look better and understand the motives for doing all the work. Perversely though, I'm going to take the view that it is as it is, and that overall the “Chrysler” version is the rarer variant, and I plan to keep it as it is as a monument to daft badge engineering!

On another topic, are there any Italian speakers here and, if so, does the New Delta forum have any interesting info?

http://www.newdeltaclub.it/phpBB3/index.php

Edited by David

Hi David,  the jacking points are marked by triangular reference points along outside of the black sills. If you have a manual it is on page 203 - which does not actually show a picture of where the reference points are.

Rather than plain plastic the liners are made from something else which is more rough and porous.  Could be to reduce spray, or maybe to absorb some road tyre roar.  I used the word "foam" rather loosely.  All visible when you look in to the wheel arch.

Hi David - same as the other Mk.3'ers' here. The modern FCA cars are pretty decent corrosion wise so I'll not bother. I've owned enough 70's and 80's Fiat/Alfa/Lancia's to know when to worry.   :D  They are a different league these days though only us select few realise that now. Try owning an X1/9!

I'm on the New Delta Forum - they have an FB page as well. I did get a google translate on a thread to change the grille when I first had mine on there.

Edited by Nello