Condensation On Windscreen

fleraflav

Question

5 answers to this question

Hey

I frequently have to warm the demister up on cold mornings, and touch wood this clears the 'breath' mist. This sometimes on cold cold mornings goes onto side and rear windows.

Is it ONLY on the windscreen?

I have never had to chip ice off the inside of the windscreen in the Delta. (I owned a Cortina once, no heater, ice on inside of windscreen from breath, demisted with deicer, North Wales to Northamptonshire in 30 minute stages - the breaks in between to clean the windscreen! Those were the days!!!!)

However:

Are the footwells wet? - leak from windscreen running inside car body - underfelt common in the Brava/o

Check the windscreen seals - any obvious water leaks? / streaks?

Check under the bonnet - are the gunnels free from rubbish / leaves etc - there are drain holes that let water off the gunnel into the engine bay.

I seem to recall somewhere, that if there was water evident in the left hand Brav(a/o) there was a seal problem above the glove box.

Are you getting in with soggy wet clothes?

Stupid suggestion, but solved the leak problem in my Stylo - take it to the car wash. Take out the boot blind, fold down seats, take a torch and a nimble youngster and watch all the seals around doors etc. Is water being ingressed around a window seal in the car?

Ford had a great production idea, since stopped on a production car, of a wire heater in the front screen. As per rear screen heater. In rally cars, I believe it went to a very fine gold wire film to act as a demister. I don't know why it was stopped. Probably too expensive.

Hope that you can resolve.

Penguin

Don't use methanol / glycol based products in confined spaces.

As well as the explosion risk - the fumes are not good for you.

I will work with electrics at home, but I do know a good gas fitter (anti-explosions) and also a plumber (anti floods).

Yes only the windscreen.No leaks or any other signs of dampness/wetness anywhere.im am very fussy and keep the car immaculate only have pair of shoes and a jacket in there. I have started keeping the air con on and opening the windows for 5mins when I park up, seems to have worked a bit. Maybe it's just the very cold weather at the moment as had no problems until the last couple of months and the car is sat all day parked up most of the time.