Bleeding Brkes

scrufgp

Question

hi just just fitted new discs pads calipers and brackets (complete front bake system) to my 2.8 crd 

just wondered if anyone else has done the same ??

i seem to be having bit of trouble with bleeding them 

i let the fluid drain through naturally then shut nipple off (after fitted new caliper!!)

then bled as per usall (pump pedal till hard,release nipple.etc....)

until all air beleived to be gone !!

test drove brakes felt good for a mile or so then felt like air still in system

alas not. redone bleeding (twice) still felt like air in the system after test drive

been to mate unit tonight and drained entire system refreshed with new dot4 bled with presureised bleed kit !!(system had a lot of air bubbles in)

felt like full brake pedal as drove away within a mile brake again went crap again 

is there something im missing ? a secret trick only involving chryslers ?

anyone got any advice please 

5 answers to this question

Don't like this sentence "I let the fluid drain through naturally then shut nipple off". Gives me the impression air was allowed to go up the tube while fluid was slowly coming down. Then drained entire system, ouch...Then bled with kit sounds good but its not...The thing is there's an ABS controller in there and we don't want air in there. What I'm wondering is should bleeding be done with system energised/engine running/key in ignition to get the bled complete through energised ABS unit...Never heard of this theory but seems logical say Spock..Anyway bleeding required till no bubbles...

hi gordy 

thanks for the reply 

if i didnt let fluid drain through naturally (ie connected up to new caliper released hose clamp) there would have been 10x the amount of air in system 

the system was been bled with proper airline bleed kit 

there were a few(quite a lot of air bubbles)that pushed out until entire system was running through with new clean dot4 

there was no air left in that system !!

but your advice about bleeding while running seems logical 

i will give that a go and post again with update 

hi gordy 

thanks for the reply 

if i didnt let fluid drain through naturally (ie connected up to new caliper released hose clamp) there would have been 10x the amount of air in system 

the system was been bled with proper airline bleed kit 

there were a few(quite a lot of air bubbles)that pushed out until entire system was running through with new clean dot4 

there was no air left in that system !!

but your advice about bleeding while running seems logical 

i will give that a go and post again with update 

hi Scruf! going thru the same problems as you have hi lited in your OP, did you sort it and how did you get the right result? i would be grateful for any info you were willing to share,,, Jon ;)

hi Scruf! going thru the same problems as you have hi lited in your OP, did you sort it and how did you get the right result? i would be grateful for any info you were willing to share,,, Jon ;)

hi jon 

i ended up bleeding the brakes 4 times in total 

the 4th  time i went to my mates unit where i totally drained the system with airline bleeder the refilled and bled with a proper bleed kit 

yet after driving few miles still felt like air in the system 

i was then given some advice (from a very old skool mechanic)

lock the pedal down for an hour or so(bit of wood between the stearing wheel and brake pedal)

test drove after, little change !!!

then just drove it around as normal (fed up of lack of results tbh) and brakes seemed to settle back in 

all back to normal now 

so in answer to you question unfortunately i dont have any good advice to feed back on 

im sorry