Gv Rt 2008 62Te Gearbox

SpAwNtoHell

Question

5 answers to this question

Hello

The ATF+4 in the gearbox has 6000 miles replacement interval and should be level checked 1200 miles. It must be replaced more often if you often run with heavy loads in the car. Make sure to use mopar ATF+4 when changing to meet the specs. I think i got an update on the last dealer service of the gearbox but it did not change anything that i felt. 

The ATF is replaced by dropping the container and replace the fluid. Unfortunetly there is no drain. Spill as little as you can and messure the ATF in the container. Change the filter, and clean the container using break cleaner and a clean cloth. Make sure to take out the magnet and clean it and check for wear. If you want to avoid leakage, use silicon selant and not the seal gasket. As the gearbox gets hot the seal tends to shrink with a probable leakage.

Refit the container and torque in 3-4 laps up to 14nm. Wait for 1,5 hrs until the selant dries and refill the ATF. Start with the withdrawn amount of ATF. If you are to remove the entire amount of ATF from the system and do a so called flush you need to demount the line from the primary pump and drain there until fresh ATF comes out (while refilling the same amount during the process). Do not run the gear box with low level of ATF. 

Refit the hose and fill the box to correct level using a dipstick. The level differs depending on the temperature of the gearbox. Specs for this can be found on the internet.

If you are doing this for the first time make sure to keep everything clean as always when working with all hydralics and make sure to get the correct level on the fluid. Place the gear shift in every gear for 1 minute and recheck the level. This must be done several times to make sure.

Please note that this is my way of doing it. A flush should be done using a filter station etc but this is one way that has worked for me.

Hello thanks for your reply, the interval is stated 60000 in chrysler dodge jeep workshop manual but indeed would be needed sooner depending on driving conditions, as for checking should be checked every 1200 indeed, at least i do. The first point of failure for this boxes is transmission oil either wrong type or under min level. Second most common is solenoid pack. The software update just smoothes some spikes on power curve and results in certain conditions of driving smoother shifts.

Another common point of failiure is using the gasket on the tray. Often combined with uneven edges on the tray or bad torque resulting in a leakage during pressure and heat. Combine this with a lack of level checking you have a gearbox running on low levels for a long time. If you also add in the wrong ATF and/or heavy loads you have a distaster comming.

The "stealers" in Sweden dont use the gasket anymore. They use Silicon sealant for the tray.

With the correct maintenance this 62TE is a relative good gearbox. But if you dont maintain it properly its quite sensetive for missuse.

Make sure to check the levels as often as you can and keep maintenance at 60000 miles the gearbox will probably run for longer than the car:-) If you are unsure how to maintain it properly, leave it to the stealers. Not a local mechanic using the wrong ATF. In that case purchase the ATF+4 from mopar at the stealers and give it to the mechanic. Not everything runs on the cheapest ATF.

Yes indeed a issue with the gasket. Not sure why they would use the gasket, i know it comes with all aftermarket filters, but chrysler 62te workshop manual( and rebuilding manual states clearly not to use it and use silicon.

I tend to do the work myself, and before hand i gater all neccessary info and data... etc so from the point of opening this topic i used the previous experience, gathered a lot of documentetion and diagnostic also some specialized tools for this "alien". I already have a few places that i can get most of the parts and consumables if i need them but some i still get only from states.