Hand Brake Adjustment

mikebh8

Question

Hi all, today I've done my rear brakes and discs.

I found the adjustment for the hand brake cable.

If anyone still having problems with their hand brake not holding, look at the picture attached.

I have to say, this is for the rear pads and shoes.

By removing the wheel and the brake disc you can access to the shoes, at the bottom is the adjuster. Try first few clicks (by twisting it it will make a click over the spring).

Hope it helps.

post-1346-0-74202800-1521548417_thumb.png

Edited by mikebh8

6 answers to this question

Not quite as simple as that. Replace what's needing replaced and tune both sides at the adjusters till shoes just clear the drum. Wheels on and check handbrake. This should be it done, handbrake should hold car on a hill. Well in a normal car it would sorry to say. But thing is the handbrake cables are not just different lengths but offside one goes from nearside to offside via arc tubes then down to drum. So your guess here, my guess is too have offside shoes apply first thus taking up longer cable then nearside comes on..Another idea I found was to find out which brake was not holding and adjust that one up at the adjuster then retest...Good headscratcher this system. Yes there is an access hole but adjuster is probably seized unless you've been there.

Edited by gordy

I turned the adjuster two clicks at the time, every two clicks I tried the disc, when it wasn't going in I undone until it went in nearly scratching the shoes. There is a hole, mine is covered (on both sides), but everything in there was so rusted I doubt it would have spin just with a screwdriver, it did however with a set of players.

Saying that, this is what I call emergency braking assisted, I find it injenious being a totally separated braking system than the one operated by the foot brake.

Here, Here, have you seen the backplates/dustcovers/rotor protection plates on fleebay at the moment. Around £197 for both of them. There complete mind you with the cast horns riveted on...Thanks if your offering.

Edited by gordy