P1784 How Many Litres Of Atf+4 Do I Need?

vvv

Question

My 147,000 mile 2001 3.3L Grand Voyager illuminated its check engine light yesterday. The DTC codes stored are P1784 and P0700.

I checked the fluid level when I got home with engine idling and transmission in park. The fluid level on the dipstick was low for the hot scale so I topped it up. Earlier in the day it was noticeably clunky shifting into and out of reverse. I put the battery on charge and was surprised to see that my Accumate charger thought it was quite flat. I guess it's had a lot of short journeys recently.

I have found a transmission fluid leak on side cover. The transmission is about due for its next filter and fluid change so I am going to drop the pan, change the filter, fit a new solenoid pack and new speed sensors. How much ATF+4 do I need to refill the transmission? I realise that some old fluid will still be left in the torque converter.

Where can I buy ATF+4 in the UK at a nice price?

I used Morris Multitrans MPC yesterday as I was out of ATF+4. What other ATF+4 compatible fluids are there in the UK?

Edited by vvv

4 answers to this question

Its £6.40 @ trade where I go local and exactly £7.59 retail delivered. All years manuals are here .

HIYa Steve Crees  - ! Select from here, the 2.8 [and 2.5] TURBO DIESEL diesel is here. You will find the head bolts at section > 9 - 16 ENGINE. Remember Chrysler say new cylinder head bolts must be used you will find the sequence in section > ENGINE 9 - 29

I couldn't find info on the transmission pan bolt torque in the FSM that I have so I'm posting it here in case someone else is looking for it. According to the instructions that came with my new Wix filter:-

Initial tightening to 80 inch pounds force (9 Nm)

Final tightening to 120 inch pounds force (13.6 Nm)

I eventually found the answer to my own question.

I need 3.5L to 4L of ATF+4 to drop the pan and do a filter change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fFsLtHV4os

or...

I need 9L of ATF+4 to do the job properly and flush the old fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu4Q348-0rs

I guess I will buying another 5L pack of fluid today.