Dashcam Hardwire Issues

ZombieRodeo

Question

I have another query now... I got myself a Nextbase 512GW dashcam and hardwire kit.

How can I connect the cable to the fuse box as I’m assuming the only one is in the engine.

I’ve been ripping my the car apart looking for a hole but can’t find one, I can’t remove the wiper arms as they seem to be seized onto the bolts so I’m a bit stuck now!

Has anyone hardwired a Nextbase dashcam using the kit?

10 answers to this question

When wiring a towbar, I took a wire through the front passenger footwell. There's wiring goes through from there to behind the wheel arch cover, where it can be routed into the engine bay.

Not related to the topic but why did you have to go from the towbar to the front side of the car?!?! Everything needed for wiring a towbar is found at the back in the tail lights.

Even more easy to wire the camdash ( assuming you want it wired on ignition), is to go around the dash to the 12v socket.

If you want it to the engine bay just so you can add a fuse on it, it doesn't need one, you can use one of the existing circuits.

OK, what size fuse comes with?

Many gadgets come with fuses on but it is for porpuse, depending on the case.

Even so, going to the engine bay means you want it hooked on the battery, I personally don't encourage that as the circuit will be always on and it will drain the battery.

Get power from the ignition ( ACC, not necesarly from the barrel) and fit the fuse if you must.

Hope it helps.

Not related to the topic but why did you have to go from the towbar to the front side of the car?!?! Everything needed for wiring a towbar is found at the back in the tail lights.

Even more easy to wire the camdash ( assuming you want it wired on ignition), is to go around the dash to the 12v socket.

If you want it to the engine bay just so you can add a fuse on it, it doesn't need one, you can use one of the existing circuits.

No idea to be honest, I got it fitted by a friend, dedicated electrics, and he said it needed a 12v supply. 

Needed the car back and he hadn't fitted this one wire. He said it had to go to the battery. 

Double checked with Goggs at the time (don't think he's on here, just the .com site) who had also fitted a towbar and had a feed from the battery too. 

Possibly for twin electrics?

No idea to be honest, I got it fitted by a friend, dedicated electrics, and he said it needed a 12v supply. 

Needed the car back and he hadn't fitted this one wire. He said it had to go to the battery. 

Double checked with Goggs at the time (don't think he's on here, just the .com site) who had also fitted a towbar and had a feed from the battery too. 

Possibly for twin electrics?

Would make sense having it fed 12v permanent to a second socket but is wrong...I had a 99 grand voyager (which was actually 3.3 petrol) that came with twin electrics but both were ignition only. The second one is to keep the fridge and other electrics on while the caravan is connected to the car...not over night but only whilst moved from A to B or stationary with the engine running.

Keep an eye on the battery if you have anything towing so it doesn't drain it.

Would make sense having it fed 12v permanent to a second socket but is wrong...I had a 99 grand voyager (which was actually 3.3 petrol) that came with twin electrics but both were ignition only. The second one is to keep the fridge and other electrics on while the caravan is connected to the car...not over night but only whilst moved from A to B or stationary with the engine running.

Keep an eye on the battery if you have anything towing so it doesn't drain it.

Turns out it's not  dedicated electrics, it's a bypass relay. The 12v looks to be to supply the voltage to the trailer, so it's not fed directly from the cars systems. 

There is a grommet hole in floor, probably for left hand steering wheel shaft, under the carpet. It's low down in engine bay so not sure if I had to get underneath to retain the wire and guide up to Battery. This is fused power wire for towing relay of course which sits behind offside rear lights in panelling.