Multiair 1.4 Petrol Fuel Consumption

Dido

Question

Hi guys,

Got the petrol 1.4 multiair. Official mpg says 49.5 combined. I am no where near that. Last week on a 200 mile drive on the motorway (fully loaded , through!), I got 44 mpg on average speed of 60. In town I am getting like 28- 32 mpg ,and I am not a turbo burner.

Any experiences to share?

2 answers to this question

Well, the mpg quoted in official terms are not for real running on roads.

Folks-wagen fell between the lines on this one.

I run a 1.6 turbo diesel

mpg in town is approximately the same.

Running up / down motorway I can get 70+ mpg at a 70mph - but this is far above the quoted.

Its time that a more realistic fuel economy run was done - but on the roads this cannot be controlled sufficiently....

cold / hot atmosphere temperature

low / high air pressure

humidity

% of load to car (i.e. 14 stone driver in a mini compared with 14 stone driver in a land rover etc

Hence the supposedly futile attempts at the rolling road - of which one group have fallen foul of.

it would be far better to compare 100 miles of running / fuel purchased - even more so, over a full year. But the car sellers want a quick easy to upgrade figure.

Who is to say that your particular engine was exactly the same that they put through the test?

Engine mapping (Guy Martin recently Speed) can significantly alter the performance of an engine at the reduction of mpg. or vice versa.

Penguin

I would say your experience mpg wise is spot on. The figures quoted are usually done in a test environment and don't have wind, hills and different road surfaces to content with.

Our 1.6 diesel has done an average 49.9mpg over the last 12,000 miles, compared to the 65 it says in the book! So 44 on a run in your 1.4 Multi-air is good!