Gearbox And Engine Revs

oldginger

Question

Hi all. I posted a gearbox enquirery recently and after consulting my young mechanic friend  we decided to just do a top up. It is performing much better and a trip to Swindon this weekend should tell me whether its really done the trick. Thanks for the replies on the enquirery. I have no booklets with the car so I have another query. When at idle the car will not go above 2500 revs. Is this normal?  In gear it behaves normally with plenty of power. Thanks in anticipation.

6 answers to this question

The Chrysler issue workshop manuals I answered in #5 of your other thread. In N or P car will not / should not rev above 2.5k RPM my friend. Gearbox logic will de-tune or in this case re-learn your personal driving habits and gearbox operations.

My old school rule on most problems is cheap DIY before expensive highly paid often non experts. The 41TE is usually bullet proof (but crap 4 ratio's). You have no sig line so no idea of year but it's prolly never had a new filter and fluid in its lifetime. In this case a top up of hopefully correct [ATF4+] for your car oil seems to have done the trick my friend.

Thanks for the info much appreciated. The oil appeared to be in good condition but showing low on the dipstick when hot and normal when cold so went for measured top up 300 MILLILITRES. As mentioned before put in stupid bid and won it. Definitely no regrets. 187k on purchase and 191k + now. 2.8 crd gv mk4 stow n go. Its earned its keep as a load lugger  and 7 seater already. The family love it. I am not very good on computers but I muddle through so I will probably come across a bit thick at times so please bare with me. I am very much old school and cars seemed so much easier back then. I will attempt a manual download again soon. Thanks again.

The download are actually 5 separate 2005 year pdf's (portable document format) covering all areas particularly the UK/EU platform diesels. This document is easily read by most computers and all windows computers. Just create a folder called GVPDF download them there and then move/copy them to somewhere safe.

Go here when you are ready and get them:: http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service%20Manuals/2005_RS_Caravan_Voyager/

Thanks for the help QinteQ. I will get my wife or grandson to help me with this because once you go to downloads and the rest your talking gobbledygook. I will add though, that I can happily take them apart and rebuild them as daft as that may sound. Once again many thanks. As a side, in my opinion the much aligned Austin Maxi was the most versatile and mechanically friendly car designed and once relaunched with the 1750 engine and rod link gear change I found it excellent especially with a wife and 3 small kids. I would be interested in the opinions of any members who owned or experienced these cars, regards oldginger.