2.8Crd Struggling To Start If Ignition Left On For A Few Seconds

Liam89

Question

So I've got a GV 2007 2.8crd that stopped starting the other day which was down to the heater head being burnt badly and leaking diesel when primed. Had that replaced and all was fine for a short while which then it started again.

I then replaced the fuel pressure release valve and it's now starting fine if I start the car straight away but not if I leave it.

Battery was fully charged this week as I ran it flat trying to start the car and that's showing 12v standing and alternator is showing 14v output so believe that is all ok?

Ignition trick shows a p0340 which I think is crankshaft sensor but had that replaced a year or two ago (or so I paid for)

Is there anything else I could be missing? Or should I just pay out for a new crankshaft sensor and fit it and see if the problem goes away?

Thanks

Sorry if I sound thick but what's an S6? Do you charge your battery outside? I'd worry about leaving one on charge in the house all the time and have no power in my shed so I would look at building a small unit outside for it.

£400 is a lot of money and a lot of batteries for not much more!

Current a second hand 8 year old BMW stamped 5 series battery which I now know to be an Exide F21 which is my long rated 80/800. Spare .1. the Silver S6 already mentioned. .2. The Enduro 69. Can't afford the big Noco get the GB20 400A, you'll get half a dozen good cold starts out of it, charge it up every three months. I've made many comments on solar, I've tried several Solar 'maintainers', no further comment except don't waste your money.

I’ve just been trawling all the forums trying to work out what the current situation was on the maintainers but thought it was easiest to just ask you what your findings were as of now! I won’t bother buying one of those then :)

Just because I’ve read so many posts now, what’s your current status on the mod with the resistor?

Also managed to get me One of these (https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/ea852/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3OPOzZ_C3AIVBkAbCh0gvAH6EAQYASABEgJc7vD_BwE) out of my dads car before being scraped. Flat as a pancake but a year or so old so put on a discharge charge now and wait to see how it is. Looks the same spec as the F18 you said about before so will require some additional work to make it fit!

That  110TE is a cracking bit of kit at 80/800, look in the acid holes if there's any white powdered substance only a 9 stage will de slough. Most goosed batteries are in fact good the just need sloughing but end up filling the scrapmans pockets. All new batteries are [politicians] diluted with junk lead from scrapyards. You can still buy proper virgin 100% batteries here but at £350-500. You will need to measure 3 times to make sure you can the 110TE in even after cutting.

Example biggest size you will get in .....  My big Bosch is : 

Length (MM) Top 315
Width (MM) Top 175
Height (MM) inc Terminals 175

My Bosch & Exide are an 'only blummin just' fit.

batteryMOD [Resistor] is  100%

20p
2 minutes

The single best assist you can give a diesel winter CCA is the batteryMOD, put simply 14.4 used to be the old[er] charge rate. The current thinking of 13.8 is generally accepted battery charge rate. 

To me that's too low for a 80aH battery in the winter. A cell on our lead acid starts to charge @ 2.25 x by our 6 cells is 13.8 in most/many cases that's gonna take one hell of a long time to replace just one winters morning. The ButtonMod is easy, in just minutes, safe as houses costs less than a quid and delivers 14,4[ish] well inside the 14.5 gassing safety and a much reduced re-charge time particularly for those such as myself who have a 'lifestyle' that means two 15 minute trips per week. Our GV's draw a flaky IOD of .025 to .030aH at rest after the 16 minute sleep command and have a lot of electrical toys, add to that the big 3 litre lump of a UK ± °C cold compression engine and you have some big needs.

- 33K Ω @ 1/2 watt gave me the 13.9
- 22K Ω @ 1/2 watt gave me the 14.4 I wanted
- back to 'happy days' 'old school' charging rates

Terminals off before you start - Best of luck..