2.8 Diesel Automatic Start Problems

Godefroy

Question

Hi. Recently i started to have major issues starting my voyager. what it does, when i turn ignition key to start the engine, the starter motor works (slowly) but the engine fails to start. repeated it 3-4 times, and drained battery. 

when i jump started the car, i didn't have any more issues till next day. Again, 2-3 tries, battery dead, jump start and off it goes (i need to add, that sometimes it takes about 30-60 minutes, and many tries to actually start it). So bought a new battery, but even with brand new battery fitted, i had same problem the following day. 

Also, don't know if it is also part of this problem, but my car tends to die when i either suddenly brake or accelerate hard (not always but often). 

What i have also noticed is, when i try to start a car, the starter engine works very slowly, but once on jump leads it turns much faster.

Please help me resolve this issue.

12 answers to this question

Yuasa 12v 75Ah 650A Car Battery YBX3086 (57233) Manufacturer: Yuasa Model: YBX3086 Battery Type: Car Battery Length: 278 mm

Capacity: 75 Ah
CCA: 650A

Battery Chemistry: CaCa Car battery Width: 175 mm Voltage: 12v Terminal Style: Standard DIN Posts Height: 190 mm Product Weight: 18.8Kg Terminal Layout: 1      

Brand: Yuasa
Range: YBX3000
Part Number: YBX3086
Alternative Refrence: 086, 57233
Voltage : 12v
Ampere-Hour Capacity at 20hr rate Ah: 75Ah
Cold Cranking Performance (Amps) SAE/EN1: 650
Dimensions LxWxH: 278 mm x 175 mm x 190 mm
Terminal Layout: 
Positive (+) on left, Negetive (-) on right ; with the terminals on the edge of the battery closest to you
Terminal: Standard Round DIN post

http://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-75ah-650a-car-battery-ybx3086-x2857233x29-8830-p.asp

Edited by Godefroy

Seems to be three issues here. Looks like battery is loosing its charge overnight with old battery then with new battery. Common occurence on here with paracetic drain. Then it cuts out on acceleration which sounds like fuel pressure problem as to injectors or bypass valve leaking too much. But second could be a third issue which could cause it not to start as well. So to cut things down, does the car start ok first thing after Right away fitting a Fully charged battery. This cutting out on slowing to a stop clouds my mind with Vauxhalls petrol idle control valve needing cleaned...But first try Charged battery.

No. When I fitted new battery I had exactly same issues. Cranks very slowly and drains battery flat after 3-4 attempts. Once started though (via jump leads) I have no problem with staying it till rest of a day. Until next morning. Mind You last two weeks we had -5 during nights. What concerns me most is how the battery goes flat so rapidly. I had starter motor changed couple months ago could there be some sort of loose connection or lack of grounding?

Year after year, time after time :

- read forums 1st, buy 2nd

- 800 CCA + 80aH is the target size you need

- never, never use a 'put your reg number in here' dBase

65 CCA is about right for a hearing aid or a petrol engine mini lawn mower. Any battery 3 years old is a suspect pensioner. Any brand new battery is probably 1/2 empty when you get it. Most 800/80 batteries will NOT fit the battery tray, modding is needed. Lifestyle of the car owner is the biggest killer of starting.

Yuasa is a good(ish) brand 65CCA is a size I would never contemplate. I hate spirals but anyone who can't / won't mod should swap the Yuasa for a Redtop, straight swap, 5 minutes, job done. All starting probs are a menu of easy to harder tests and battery is always suspect number one.

I think I have found where problem is. Will know for sure tomorrow. One of the cables connecting alternator was very loose. Had to push it in quite a bit. Once connected, starter operates much quicker. Next thing I will need to check is fuel filter. Fuel starvation

yes. looks like loos cable was the issue. car started ok today. now i need to get fuel filter done. i've checked youtube and internet, but cannot locate filter near fuel tank, the only one i was able to spot was in the engine bay near radiator. ive got 4th generation gv from late 2005. do you guys know if it is the only fuel filter?