Car alarm going off.

Gracie

Question

I have a grand voyager 05. My car alarm keeps randomly going off,doesn't matter if cars locked or unlocked . I'm unable to turn it off and just have to let it stop its self. Even if I start the engine it continues to alarm. I've changed key fob battery and made no different. Also the alarm doesn't sound normal when going off, almost like a hard dead alarm and there's a clicking sound when it's going off. I have contacted 2 garages who can't help but one is willing to look tomorrow, is there anything I could mention to help them fix the problem as it seems most places don't like helping to fix these cars? I haven't a clue about cars , this is my first car and I've had it 3 years. 

Thank you. 

12 answers to this question

I had this same experience a few months ago. Why it happened I have no idea, but with these vehicles various problems both large and small seem to hover around the periphery and sneak up on you, rather like a poltergeist, so how to cure it - well for me it was like sorting the computer out i.e. rebooting the beast. How ?, disconnect the negative terminal on the battery (10mm spanner), go and have a cup of tea (at least five minutes) reconnect the battery - ensure all doors etc are closed before reconnecting, switch on the ignition, and see what happens...

I did this and everything was tickety -boo until I  started the car in town after being parked up fot the day and hey-ho had to drive home (8 miles) with the alarm blaring and flashers flashing again. Disconnected battery again, left it overnight reconnected and so far so good - but still have no idea why it threw a wobbler in the first place.

On 8/4/2022 at 1:25 PM, RichardM said:

I had this same experience a few months ago. Why it happened I have no idea, but with these vehicles various problems both large and small seem to hover around the periphery and sneak up on you, rather like a poltergeist, so how to cure it - well for me it was like sorting the computer out i.e. rebooting the beast. How ?, disconnect the negative terminal on the battery (10mm spanner), go and have a cup of tea (at least five minutes) reconnect the battery - ensure all doors etc are closed before reconnecting, switch on the ignition, and see what happens...

I did this and everything was tickety -boo until I  started the car in town after being parked up fot the day and hey-ho had to drive home (8 miles) with the alarm blaring and flashers flashing again. Disconnected battery again, left it overnight reconnected and so far so good - but still have no idea why it threw a wobbler in the first place.

I took it into the garage for them to look at today ( after two other garages refusing to look and telling me they won't be able to sort it) they have just called to say they can't find anything wrong with it. 

Thanks for your reply, I have no idea about cars, but will get someone who knows how to at least disconnect battery for me, not fun dealing with a alarm going off which you can't stop. 

I haven't changed the battery since I've had the car for 3 years and wouldn't know how long it was on there when brought it. Do you think it would be a good idea just buying a new battery? 

The simple answer is to disable the Alarm which (I think) is hidden underneath the battery tray area. Disable it by opening it up and making sure it doesn't make any noise, cos if you try something simple like just cutting the wires or pulling the fuse/relay, you could have all manner of weird peripheral issues happen.

If anyone says that it will invalidate your insurance if it were stolen, then the answer is A, you didn't know it didn't work, and B no self respecting or infact self loathing toerag, is going to steal a 17 year old V'ger.

If mine were to start playing up then that would be the first thing I would try.

Be very careful when dealing with the alarm system, it's a Thatcham approved system which means the Yanks understand naff all about it. As maxcaddy said do not cut any wires or you may end up with a totally disabled vehicle. 

I have attached two images which (may) assist whatever workshop / auto electrician you go to BUT be aware with all things Euro Grand Voyager the w/shop manual may well be total bull do-dah. (Even the image of the export model shows LHD.

If you haven't got round to disconnect & wait (Thursday's post), do this first - it's a lot cheaper .and is guaranteed to do no harm.

ThatchamAlarm2.pdf.jpg

ThatchamAlarm.pdf

If it's only the siren then you should be able to cut the feed or remove the earth from the siren and then leave it to drain it's internal battery.  I don't believe this will trigger the immobiliser.  Image from the w/s manual so no guarantees that's where it is -- anyone else confirm this ?

siren.jpg

Sorry for digging up this old thread.

I have exactly this problem with my 06 Grand Voyager. And it only started since i welded a patch on the sill, beneath the nearside sliding door. Yes, i had disconnected the battery before doing so. Yes, i made sure no part of the wiring loom was close enough to my welding to get damaged. Now the alarm goes off randomly, often in the middle of the night, but usually soon after the car has been locked, armed and left. In desperation, i sought out the VTSS siren and unplugged and removed it. (I can confirm it is behind the bumper, below the nearside headlight, as shown in the pic upthread). If the siren has an internal battery, that might have been damaged when i was welding, BUT, the alarm is still going off randomly (the telltale light below the instruments is still flashing quickly after the car has been locked/armed with the key fob), it just doesn't now have a siren to make any noise with. I will be continuing to try to figure this out as for the previous five years we've owned this Voyager, the alarm has been faultless.