2.8 GV Alternator - or wiring/fuse

maxcaddy

Question

Just as the old girl was running fine, the battery loses charge. A quick test shows it down to 9 Volts with nothing changing when you rev it telling me its not charging. After 15 years and 130,000 miles, culprit is 98% most likely the Alternator. However mice chewing the wiring, and a shed load of other possibilities could exist.

Any other time/year I would of simply ordered another one for £100 ish, and it most likely would be the answer. Now I see prices are more like £200, and I made a decision a while ago that I was not going to keep spending money if it starts to regularly fail.

So, other than a knackered Alternator has anyone had another issue in the 'charging line' whereby buying a new Alternator didn't cure it ?

Ta (PS its not the battery)

3 answers to this question

Hi there,

I've never had anything other than an alternator be the problem, but as you say our cars are getting a little old now and other cables or earths could be the cause.

I don't personally know how to, but can it be tested at the alternator terminal for output? 

westlancsautoelectrics.co.uk used to be pretty good, but I haven't needed them for a couple of years so can't qualify on recent pricing. Or is it worth considering a second hand unit, one with a warranty, say from a business seller on ebay?

Cheers Nev,

I'm fairly sure that a new Alternator will fix it, but it's just the buy an Alternator, buy a wiring loom, buy a fuse/relay box, buy something else, etc, etc, pathway, that I don't want to go down.

I put a few feelers out to folk who know more than me, but I can see an Alternator on order by the end of the weekend :unsure:.