Front Hub

RichardM

Question

I'm about to replace the front wheel hubs on my Voyager - only 92K on the clock but she's getting very noisy and some (minimal) vibration on the steering wheel. I have ordered 2 hubs from GSF via ebay, have read on a previous post that there may be compatibility problems with the wheel studs. I assume I can swop the studs from the existing hubs but not sure, any info would help as I want to get this process over as quickly and painlessly as possible!

Cheers

Richard 

8 answers to this question

I don't know how easy it will be, but I reckon the studs should be swappable. When I did mine I had real trouble getting ones that had shouldered bottoms on the studs for the wheel, I surrendered eventually and just went with the best I could get. Got lucky and came across a Mopar one  but not the other. Been a few years and not been a big deal as far as I can tell.

Not sure why shouldered studs would be essential ?, as it's the centre of the hub that's used for wheel alignment/perturbation. Unless it's having a shoulder on the rear of the stud to stop it unscrewing when the wheel is undone ?.

The only advantage I would have thought for shouldered studs was as a production aid/cost reducer.

Well the hubs arrived after 2 days (blxxdy heavy) and checked them for shoulders and yup they have them. Arranged with Judds (friendly garage) to fit them today and apart from a few curses about everything being seized (the n/s had to be ground through to release it) job done and dusted. Driving the old girl back home was a revelation, so quiet ...

I haven't done any mileage yet but the hubs certainly look the part, fit as per originals and were less than £85.00 for the pair. (Ebay GSF).

GSF's item number for these hubs is  303770358853.When you order they ask you to supply your VIN and they then confirm suitability, as I said no mileage on them yet but so far an excellent buy.

Cracking result Richard! 

The reason I could think of, is an  engineering one, for a shoulder larger than the thread, is for a tight fit to the base of wheel hole that the tread passes through, to give more resistance to the (very small) chance of rotational movement.

As the studs are not a "fixed" position, pressed in from the back, when lazy tyre fitters chuck the wheel on and whizz it up with the air gun, if it's slightly out it could also disturb the stud.

Yes, I agree that's what happens all the time and ALMOST never a problem, but often enough those studs get loose and then the garage or tyre shop need the engineering shop to fit a new stud!

And ultimately, above any other reasons or discussion, the originals had them. 

Many cars don't, these did.

Edited by bignev