P0402 EGR Flow

maxcaddy

Question

Well magically for no reason at all the engine warning light came on and stayed on over a few hours despite stopping, parking, etc, although other than that it ran as usual.

By the time I got home, and had a coffee, opened the garage, found the code reader, and started it again, the light was off and stayed off :wacko:. There was only one code P0402 EGR flow, which I cleared and the light hasn't come back.

Over the last 8 years/70,000ml ( 15 years/130,000 in all) I've never had the code or issue before, so the question is ....Is this a one off or will it come back again ?, and do I need to change/clean the EGR or maybe take it for a good trash/diesel additive ?

Answers welcomed :D

4 answers to this question

Join the club... 

I get this error quite frequently and the warning light comes on.. quite worrying the first couple of  times as you assume something is seriously wrong.. but it isn't.

The thing with mine is that at some stage the EWL switches itself off - which is a no no as far as my mechanic friends think. Anyway it does and then it decides to come back on. I have looked for some answer ro this on the web and the only comment I came across with reference to the EGR and Voyager was that there was apparently a software fix to lengthen the count down time before this triggers but that is long gone and no one has the facilities to rectify this in the UK (as far as I am aware).

Why mine resets without clearing the code I don't know, now I just accept the EWL as part of the interior illuminations.. one day this will bite me in the butt but 'till then just keep trucking!

Cheers :D, clearly a design feature then :wacko:.

Got to be honest I was worried until I found out what it was, and then cos the EGR has never been off or been cleaned in 15 years, it wasn't a surprise if it were gunged up.

As this could be its last year, I'll leave it alone to next year depending on how regularly it comes on.

You're totally right re the EWL going out, as irrespective of who says what, on some cars it will only go out only when reset, whereas on others it can clear itself on start up :ph34r:.