abs light/tyre change?

brit644

Question

Abs light.

Had new tyres put on front, turned key and light on, asked the guy who said it will go off at 30mph, didnt, then said 30 mins, didnt. Now tells me [120 miles later] that as there is more tread on the front therefore turning at less revolutions than the rear it is normal...wtf.....He took exception to my laughter.

He did plug a reader in, said he would have to pay for the ABS download, which he refused.

Me thinks a clumsy refit, and/or a yank on something [I keep my locking nut in the storage box under the passenger seat]

Any comments would be thankfully received   

Keith

6 answers to this question

On 1/31/2022 at 3:31 PM, brit644 said:

Abs light.

Had new tyres put on front, turned key and light on, asked the guy who said it will go off at 30mph, didnt, then said 30 mins, didnt. Now tells me [120 miles later] that as there is more tread on the front therefore turning at less revolutions than the rear it is normal...wtf.....He took exception to my laughter.

He did plug a reader in, said he would have to pay for the ABS download, which he refused.

Me thinks a clumsy refit, and/or a yank on something [I keep my locking nut in the storage box under the passenger seat]

Any comments would be thankfully received   

Keith

First comment is that had you put your problem in more understandable terms you might have had a bigger response B)

Anyway, a simple solution is that usually it's one of the front wheel sensors failing which can be bought for about £30 each, and buying the 2 is a wise move. If that doesn't solve it and let the light go out, you have a more in depth problem which most likely will need a garage with full ABS code reading ability to solve :(

Thanks for that

I accept your comment on the abbreviated form of stating the problem 

You may have something there. I noticed it is now intermittent, slow sharp 360 left turn had it disappear...at least til next time I fired up, whereupon it remained lit until the next sharp turn  

Actually warming light did go out after pressure washing the wheels [live in a farming community...deep mud everywhere]

Which reminds me

My key would not work, doing the ignition key fault/code find it showed faulty/wrong key. I called AA, immediately he crawled under the front WD 40 in hand.

Appears a common call out for them. Direct wire from ignition to starter motor [for the alarm system] when dirty, wet, rusty or bad connection throws the fault disabling ignition 

Next dry weather shall explore shall explore sensor integrity. 

Just putting out my old experience on our 2002, started throwing in the abs when coming up to a junction, even though it was gentle braking.

I think it didn't actually put on the abs light, but it's 6 years ago so I can't be totally sure. Anyhow, I used my garden hose to take off some crud on the reluctor rings [abs sensor rings] and it behaved for a bit.

Then when it came back I pulled the abs relay (not the fuse or the car wouldn't start!) till I got the stub axles and reluctor rings replaced.

So - maybe the tyre fitter has inadvertently disturbed some crud as they wallop the wheel on and off, and its got on one of the ridges and looks iffy to the computer??