Car locks by itself

SciTeach

Question

Good evening all,

Suddenly yesterday the car started locking itself whilst in motion!

Keys in, engine running and it locked all the doors.  I could unlock them with the internal switch on the door but then they locked again.

The fob has never worked since I bought this car (March this year) and it is a separate fob to the key so I have always had to unlock the driver door with the key and rest then with the internal switch.  When locking I have to use the switch and then close the driver door.

Any ideas as to what is causing the doors to lock on their own before I have to go to my garage for it to be looked at?

Also, when unlocking the door, and this only started yesterday, the internal switch will not open the other door until the key is in and the ignition is on. 

The fob is sending out a signal, tested a while at the garage, but is not operating the central locking.  For some reason we (myself and the garage) cannot get it to work.

Many thanks

6 answers to this question

For the 'never worked' part of the query :-

Have you checked via the 'key dance' (see previous posts if you do not know how to do this), if your fob is communicating with the vehicle ? An error code (P1680 or P1685) would indicate a possible incompatibility between the fob and the SKIM. It seems possible, due to the fact that the fob has never worked that;

1 the SKIM / SKREEN system needs reprogramming;

2 the fob is faulty

3 the fob does not belong to the vehicle.

for the recent 'escalation' it may well be worth doing a reboot (disconnect the battery by removing the earth strap, for  at least 10 minutes) reconnect with fingers crossed.

Unfortunately detailed diagnostics on these beasts or reprogramming anything appears to  require a DRB111 diagnostic tool that is as rare as hen's teeth, 

FYI section 3.2.4 - SENTRY KEY REMOTE ENTRY of the RG Diesel Powertrain w/s manual makes a good substitute for counting sheep.

Sorry can not be of more help (this is one of the few problems I haven't come across yet).

On the car locking the doors while driving, it is settable on the overhead console. But if its just started doing it that's weird!! 

I set ours to do it for security years ago, locks at approx 20mph, if you unlock them it will re-lock when you set off again.

Without looking I can't be sure, but I seem to remember that there's also a setting for "unlock one" or "unlock all" , and I guess you don't have access to an owners manual? 

I'll try to remember to have a look at ours when home later.

But otherwise yes it's the black magic that is Chrysler Voyager electrics, even Harry Potter can't figure that out!!!!

If the fob won't work at all, if you can find an AUTO LOCKSMITH, they will be able to pair the fob and car. Even if they were never paired before. I had a second hand 5 button remote added to ours. The one to lock / unlock, and also control the boot and both sliding doors remotely. 

Oh ours is a 2006 Ltd XS, the earlier models I had only had 2 button remotes, so it'll depend what year yours is as to which remote it should have.

Edited by bignev