Alarm when unlocked.

RichardM

Question

2007 Grand Voyager 2.8CRD (2006 model ) - RG 
Twice now the alarm has 'detonated' after unlocking the car. Relocking does not reset it. Fortunately the immobiliser does not initialise, therefore I was able to drive it with the alarm sounding and the flashers going. After around 3 miles the alarm just switches off.  After the first time I changed the fob battery and assumed that was the cause but today, three days later it just went off again. This is a U.K .vehicle. and has the Thatcham alarm system fitted Any ideas please ?

6 answers to this question

I believe the alarm horn is a separate unit to the main horns ?. If so, and if you can find where it is, simply cut the wires to it. The flashers keeping going isn't such a pain. If you do find exactly where it is please post on here, as I get that now and then and will happily cut mine. I don't care if it makes it more stealable, or that the insurance might not like it. What self respecting toe rag is going to steal a 15 year old V'ger :(?

Other than that perhaps there's an alarm fault code that could be read ?, or visit an auto electrician, or live with it. Even with the elevated 2nd hand value of cars at the moment, an old V'ger with issues isn't worth very much at all :o.  

I believe the horn lives behind the n/s headlamp assembly and you are right it is a separate unit (VSS). For the time being the alarm is behaving itself and it's too friggin cold to start investigating at present. As for auto electricians they believe Grand Voyagers are the Devil's work and would prefer to stick their hands in pre heated frying pan and I can understand why.

(Page 1257 of the RG-Body.pdf manual shows the location of the alarm horn)

Following on from this latest event (today 24th Dec), I got home and as the battery has of late decided to drain even faster than usual, and as I don't intend using the old girl for a couple of days , I decided to remove the IOD fuse... duh  as soon as I removed it the alarm went off (not at mega dB as the alarm battery isn't very well but loud enough for me to panic and replace the IOD fuse. Big mistake.. Alarm now loud enough to be mistaken for an air raid siren in Moscow. So tried locking (alarm alarm alarm) then unlocking (alarm alarm alarm)... Shove key in ignition switch start up and shove car into reverse (alarm alarm alarm) with the intent on going for a four mile trip (which usually silences the blxxdy thing. Got ten yards and the alarm stopped, and more interestingly the little red, I'm watching you, LED just in front of the tacho went out (as far as I'm aware that little red light has flashed continuously for the past two years, regardless of whether the vehicle was locked, unlocked, parked or being driven. ? ? ?

So, left her parked up, not locked and will go out tomorrow or the day after and slam her on the charger..

Does anyone, please, have any ideas (constructive ones if possible !)

Happy xMas one and all, lets hope next year proves more conducive to a normal life!

I cured my battery drain problem by fitting a small ebay device on the battery terminal whereby you unscrew a little handwheel on it to break the circuit. Remember to leave the drivers door open when you 'lock' the doors, and when you've unscrewed the terminal then shut the (already locked) driver's door otherwise it can set the alarm off as soon as the battery is unscrewed. It's a pain to do everytime you stop for the night and start the next day or so, but, it does stop the battery drain :).

Re the Alarm, sorry but can't add anything else.

Similarly mines had a hissy fit going up to Manchester for Xmas and is making such a noise from the engine (like having no meat left on the pads when braking) that it might not get home in the New Year on its own. Added to the Radio started working (after 3 years of turning itself off after 5 mins) which was short lived as the whole drivers side light cluster is now not working at all. MoT due February, needs 4 tyres, 99% certain it's going to be scrapped :(.

Just annoying that used prices are at a premium at the moment, and 2nd hand cars going for more than they cost 2 years ago, with 2 years more wear and tear on them :angry:.

So far not a happy Xmas :( 

The battery isolator solution is a last resort; I am thinking of wiring a switch (just behind the grill)  in series with the IOD fuse so I can 'pull' the fuse when leaving for any period of time - but - will have to check if the alarm detonates again if I pull the fuse; don't have the inclination at the moment but will try it out 2022ish, in the meantime will just keep the battery charger on overnight.

Have a great new year (or at least a normal [old fashioned] one)....