Limp Mode

Sentech

Question

Long story, 

2.8 CRD 2007, New head gasket (correct size and properly torqued), eight valve lifters, new top end gasket set, new water pump, timing belt and pulleys, fitted at 90 degrees after TDC using camshaft and crankshaft locking pins.

Now the sad part:

First start ok ....... will not accelerate beyond 2500 rpm.

Stripped it it all down again (except the head gasket), reassembled .............  same story

The damn thing is in "Limp Mode" 

PNDR123 all have little green squares indicating this fact.

The engine work was done in situ and I didn't touch the gearbox.

ANY IDEAS ????

4 answers to this question

Assuming there are no knocks on running this is probably an electrical fault.Check for shorts or o/c.

There's an awful lot of cables that go across the head, including the accelerator sensor cable. Suggest check if any cables have been caught during the strip, rebuild. I had an intermittent short on this particular cable and it caused all PNDR123 to light up. A short on cable can cause strange things to happen on this vehicle& prove a bugger to track down. 

As Richard says, do check for any wiring that could have had a nick or any damage at all, and that the battery terminals are clean and getting a good ground on the negative lead.

I have had that symptom in the past with a low battery voltage, along with the dial sweep when you turn it on.

Wonderful stuff is modern car electronics!!

Edited by bignev