2.8 Crd Cutting Out

Daz264

Question

Hi my 2004 2.8 crd auto keeps cutting out. It drives fine then I hear a metal rattle ( like the noise when u stall the car) then it dies and the engine light comes on. It starts up straight away then the light goes out after a few minutes.it happened 3 times in 20 minutes on Friday then its run fine till today then it happened twice within minutes today . I done a oil and filter and fuel filter change yesterday hoping this wud help but no luck. Any help plz ?

7 answers to this question

@@Daz264 oh the dreaded cut-out issues on these VM Motori 2.8crd engines :-( It's a pain, there are so many possibilities of what the fault is.

I even did a youtube video on it years ago when I still had my CGV's which might give you some pointers:

https://youtu.be/ucfZfV1cNng

Good luck. I know you're looking at crank/cam sensors which are sensible places also, although normally they would also cause problems starting, sometimes warm sometimes cold, do you get that or will it start each time?

The main one seems to be the fuel filter case cracking slightly and allowing air to be sucked into the fuel line causing it to stutter and cut out (Metal rattle is just a consequence not a cause in this case, it's the engine being starved of fuel and juddering to a halt).

Good luck!

I found something on the Web about turning the key in the ignition a few times and it showed a code on the dash of p0204 that's says it's number 4 injector woohoo so I'm on the look out for one but does anyone know if I have to recode the injector or just a case of plug and play thx

Solved this problem on my 2005 GV. 

After a massive exchange and cleanup of sensors, filters, fuel filter housing etc. the remaining cause had to be the fuel pump itself.

Handed it over to a mechanic who confirmed that two out of three return valves were stuck. This led to a drop in fuel pressure or lack of fuel to the injectors as only 1/3 of the diesel could pass.

Replaced the small steel balls of the right size and problem fixed. These balls came in a small bag and was easily fitted. These balls get worn out over the years. I see a lot of frustrated GV owners out there, like myself. 

Great car except for all that needs fixing all the time

A lot of interesting ideas in this forum, but don't get carried away.  Engine cutting out at acceleration must be fuel starvation. Take it from there. Check the moving parts first....they always wear out first...