Turbo Issue?

jonnoj

Question

Hi everyone, I just got myself a Sebring 2.0 diesel and love it.

But after having it for a week on 2 occasions now while I'm on a journey the turbo seems to have cut off.

The first time I thought because the fuel light had come on. After filling it was all good again.

But just, whhen I got about halfway home, the turbo cut out and I was crawling again,very very sluggish to accelerate, when I got home I turned off the engine and moved the other car off the drove, turned my Chrysler back on and the turbo is clearly active again...

Anybody have any idea what the issue could be? Or experienced anything similar?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

4 answers to this question

First thing I'd look for is oil on the under side of the turbo .is could be a good few things. if the seals are breaking down its filling and jamming the turbo with oil.the it drains and clears but will keep happing.

If its a turbo big or small any "Garrett turbo service guy" worth his salt, will tell you what is need and price it.

By the way Garrett Turbo chargers are used in most situations.

Good luck.

I found the issue here, it was a split in my intercooler pipe, I suppose under enough pressure was creating a loss in vacuum. Got a new pipe from scrap yard been fine since.

Changed radiator coil, battery various bulbs. Currently looking for a spare alloy for it that's not too bad so I can refurbish them.

Got a lighting problem though

Hi everyone,

I`m new here and I`m not an engineer so probably I`ll have some stupid questions. Please be patient with me :)

I have a 2007 Sebring CRD and last week the engine light came up.

I checked the error code :  it`s P0299  --  Turbo underboost.

Is anybody had the same problem, or can you advise what can cause these kind of problem?

Thank for your help

Edited by leslie2010

Hi leslie.    
    Turbo underboost is almost  always caused by a split turbo pipe,  usually the top one.     I have had to replace  two on my own little fleet of sebrings,      Luckily the top pipes are readily available from any fiat/Chrysler dealer and usually cost  about £78.        The bottom pipe is a much more involved and expensive repair costing about £180.    Luckily the bottom pipes don't go often, and the only  I ever had to replace  was due  to a garage that while making a general pigs ear of changing a cambelt also left  out the bolt that hold the lower pipe in place,   allowing it to flex until it split.   I hope this helps.