Central Locking Problems

Daz264

Question

Hi guys hope ur all well. I have had this problem with my central locking for ages now and iv seen lots of posts on the web as well as on here . So it works OK for awhile then I have to keep pulling the iod fuse when it stops working and then it works for awhile then stops again and its driving me mad . So I found a post that says the fuse for the central locking is labelled ( fuel heater) which i have found and it was blown ( 20amp) so I changed it then locked then unlocked the car checked the fuse again and its blown again .I done this 4 times and each time the fuse has blown .shud I try a 25 or 30 amp fuse or does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and what i shud try next. Thx

1 answer to this question

Hiya Daz,

So this is a really common problem, I've posted countless times about it and the IOD fuse pull. My first CGV did this repeatedly, but my second did not. The thing that was different was my first had it's locks removed from the sliding doors as it was used as a taxi in it's early life so I'd guess they re-wired the locks.

The fuse blowing I suspected was due to the locking solenoid drawing too much current which would be caused by the mechanism starting to cease up or the solenoid going bad. Unfortunately that means it's going to be a discovery process to eliminate.

To me only option is to take the door card out of each door in turn (sliding doors to start with I'd say as I'd expect most likely to be the issue) and disconnect the locking solenoid. Then close the doors and cycle the locks a few times to get it to pop the fuse or see if the system stops working and needs the IOD reset.

When it stops doing that, I'd say you've located the faulty solenoid that either you can grease up and free the mechanism or look to replace the locking solenoid.

Hope that helps,

Andy