Injectors, Copper Washers And Torque Settings

VoyagerPig69

Question

Hi,

Happy New Year to you all.

I have a Voyager 2.5 CRD (2003). It has just failed its ITV (Spanish MOT) for excessive white smoke.

I decided to change fuel filter and also, while under the bonnet,  noticed that one of the injectors seemed to be getting oily and, on closer inspection, when turning the car off, I could hear it 'gasping', so decided to replace the copper washer and rubber seal on the injector.

I have got the injector out, cleaned the bore and re-faced the mating face on the head.

I have a couple of questions:

1: When changing the copper washer, does the new one need to be annealed?

2: I read that the mounting bolt for the injector clamp should be tightened to 32.4Nm, does anyone else think that seems a bit high?

Anyone ever stripped the thread or sheared the bolt?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

4 answers to this question

I decided to anneal it anyway, I have always done that for copper washers on oil lines etc and decided it would be a sensible option.

I don't know why I thought 32.4Nm was going to be too high, I guess it was a worry about shearing it in the head because it would be a right pain in the a*se to try and get any thing out from there while the engine was in place.

Once I cleaned the threads up on the bolt it went back in a lot easier than it was to get out!

Its all back together and seems to be running OK but I will keep an eye on it once I have taken it for a proper run and everything is up to temperature properly.