Voyager Part 3

oldginger

Question

Hi, I had an auto electrical tech phone me up and after chatting about the problems and work done so far he said no more can be done so bite the bullet,  connect the battery and give it a go. Everything lit up as it should, nothing strange happened and it cranked over fast, but it would not fire up. The chap I spoke too knows his stuff but has moved on so he no longer has the gear to do any resetting. So,,,,, I still need a man with a Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 crd reader reset capability to see if there is further repair needed to the ecu. Once again any advice or help will be very welcome. Regards Roy.

7 answers to this question

Hi Roy,

Sounding progress at least. So it's spinning over happily which is good news, did it even splutter or are you suspecting it is immobiliser not allowing the engine to fire?

Does your car have the small red led on the steering column? If so, when keys are out does it flash then when keys are in/ignition on it stops flashing? That's normally a good sign the immobiliser is being de-activated which is first port of call.

Secondly, did you try cranking a while or just quick blip and stop. I'd try to prime fuel a little first. If yours has the tank lift pump, to prime turn ignition to on (not start) wait a minute then back off. Do this 3 or 4 times, that will let the electric prime pump make sure fuel is fed all the way. Then try a start, see what you get. Even a cough/splutter will tell us things are trying.

Unfortunately the right diagnostics are scarce and expensive so tricky to find. I'd agree though, you need a deep code read to see what's going on there.

All the best, 

Andy

I have the Fiat plug in system here and it does quite a few things.

Change injectors and you can put new numbers in.

Tempŕatures of oil, coolant and air charged of not.

Pressures of fuel, oil and air charged and not.

MAF outputs. MAP outputs.

Settings of the EGR whan running.

This is etc etc etc.

Great thing plugged into my Laptop. Its not Chrysler oriented though.

I'll put a picture I took with my phone on here to see info but picture fuzzy.

Picture too big I'm afraid.

Edited by gordy

Hi guys, as I said everything seems to be normal, which is exactly the same as the first time this happened back in September just before my wife died. Its as though it died with her. (weird). I waited about 10 minutes and cranked for about 10 seconds with 2 minute gaps 3 times The engine kind of juddered as it cranked but there was no sign of life in it. A mechanic in my local cafe with some experience of Chryslers today suggested the ecu maybe ok now but the next unit in the chain that governs the fuel cut off, immobiliser and other things may be the culprit. He's given me a couple more contacts to try but any light bulb moments greatly welcome ,Regards Roy.

Hi gordy, yes everything is doing what its supposed to do,but of course the ecu was damaged by a 12v spike and has had the damaged circuits repaired and tested as far as possible, but the crunch time for a full test is when its back on the car and started. Some advisors have said that it should fire right up but nothing happened.it turned over good but it did not fire. I am sure I need someone with the right gear to test it and there's the rub. So far no one around here wants to touch it. I have a couple more calls to make so I may still get lucky. At least my classic Rover and Maxi are going fine. Looks highly likely it will go for spares repair after Christmas if I have no luck. Since 1998 when I bought my Range Rover P38 every car I have owned since then has had electrical problems to some extent. I have been looking at classic cars for quite a while and have now taken the plunge. No computers, no aircon, power steering ,electric windows  or anything else much. Just happy old fashioned motoring and cars that have to be driven. Since my wife passed in September I have found something to really smile about and although it can't replace her it is good fun and lots of people stop for a chat. I hope we all have a happy Christmas despite all that's going on and maybe I will find some to at least test my Voyager. Happy Christmas To  All, Regards Roy.

Hi gordy, according to the guy that repaired it the only damage was to some printed circuits and they have been repaired and tested. He could not test the main program, with out the Chrysler security program. it can only be done in the car. Catch 22, Finding some one with the gear and knowledge to use it is the problem. The Jeep dealer in Swindon can help but It will cost because I will have to transport it. It could cost quite a lot more to find the problem and fix it. Catch 22 again. A lovely car like many others ruin by the computer generation because they think its the answer to everything. One day they will realise they have gone to far. I have not given up just yet but my patience is getting quite short now. That aside stay safe everyone, regards Roy.