2.8Crd 2005 Plate Overheating

heilnerbert

Question

Morning,

I picked up the 2.8 CRD last week aware that it was overheating and it did overheat a number of times on the way home. I made the usual visual checks and everything seemed fine under the bonnet with nothing obvious. I took it to my garage yesterday and the cooling system including water pump are working fine and they could see the thermostat was new, so someone had previously tried to fix the problem. On the way home it overheated again and this time had managed to dump all of the coolant, but strangely the filler cap was cool. Otherwise it is running fine.

Having read through previous articles on here it seems this is a bit of a common problem and wondered whether anyone had a similar problem, but starting to think along the lines of a blockage somewhere.

Anyone any other ideas of what I can try to work it out?

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Hi there,

Welcome!

So, first off unfortunately I think I'm going to 'call' on the garage and say they didn't check properly. The thermostat is down the back of the engine about half-way down the block and VERY difficult to get to on 2005/2006 era, so them checking it and seeing it was new I'm a little dubious of.

Anyway, did they run a coolant system pressure check, check the water pump output pressure or just check for no leaks?

To me it sounds like a blockage, and typically that's the radiator on these as over the years they get blocked/partially blocked and don't do their job, slow down coolant flow, etc.

Like you say, the filler cap being cool is suspicious, so where/how did it dump it's coolant? If it didn't foam out of the fillter cap it's gone somewhere, which makes me worry did it dump it in the cylinders (i.e. it's overheated too far and the head gasket has gone).

First (easy) job for you at home is full coolant flush, get it flushed through the hoses and see how you get on.

Then I think I'd go for a compression test to see if the head gasket is the problem.

Thermostat could be stuck closed or almost closed but that's fairly unlikely, they tend to fail fully open.

Good luck and let us know what you check, and ask the garage you took it to, what exactly did they do to verify the pump was working, etc. Did they pressure test the coolant system?

And and get that coolant system vented properly. Fill header tank. Next go look for highest coolant pipe which is the one coming off thermostat and heading around cylinderhead to radiator up front. Now this is the pipe that holds the air so look for a connection with clips/securements on it. And not the one that goes downwards to radiator. Back of engine is best. Slacken clip and slide a thin screwdriver under the rubber. Hissing maybe heard then wet hands. Secure. Check header tank. Has it went down. Good, topup. Thats air out. Well Most of. Have a beer..