As A Follow Up To Yesterdays Post.......

VoyagerPig69

Question

Hi again all,

Thought I would start with some basics, so thought I may clean out the EGR valve, the removal process was explained so easily in the manual, .................

Whipped of the wipers, wiper panel and wiper motor assembly etc not a problem.

Then I got to the EGR unit itself.......!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone, successfully changed or even removed the EGR valve with the engine in place????????

I can remove the two bolts holding the hose / pipe but I can only see one nut down to turbo, the other is covered by the exhaust heatshield, I'm not sure I can even touch it, let alone get a socket/spanner/hammer to it!!!!

The hoses along the back have the most awkwardly placed clips (with the sharp side out) and everything is tucked up behind far too much pipework.

4 answers to this question

I agree  I am renovating the 2.8 GV 2007 I picked up The inlet manifold was nearly clogged up completely with Muck I dug it all out. On the EGR exhaust valve was stuck I cleared the carbon debris off the shaft and checked its operation with a vacuum gun sweet the exhaust valve worked and it held vacuum. next task was the butterfly valve and the rest of the body again i checked it with a vacuum gun and it performed with the help of some carb spray and a toothpick. Now that task is done I am now going to come up from underneath to take out the turbo it seems impossible from above although someone must have done it that way . I will try to do some photos to record this event.

Hi I am back again the one thing that has helped is I downloaded a copy of the 2.5/2.8crd, 2.4/3.3 manual.

Without stripping out a lot of engine you need to go from the top and the bottom of the engine. I gradually removed the pipework  until I could see the exhaust manifold heatshield there are 4 x 10 bolts on the top and two  horizontally which are also for the engine lifting bracket. I wish I had an induction heater for loosening them [This is a project I am currently working on an economic induction heater]. When you remove the shield you can see the turbo properly there are 3 studs no 12  horizontally from the exhaust pipe and there are 4studs no 10 vertically from the exhaust mcd anifold you can only get at 2 from the top. There is a jubilee clip that you need to release to remove the silicon hose for the turbo. And there is also a No 13 on the oil pipe on top.

I noticed that there was not a jubilee clip on the air inlet pipe strange? . Now comes the fun to get at the bottom of the turbo last 2 no 10 and also the oil inlet pipe you have to go underneath!

Too remove the steel plate there are 8 x no 21 nut and bolts, 4 x no 15 1x 18 and 3x no 13  you also need to spray some free release on to the  threads of the 2 x 21 Rubber isolated mounts to chassis ,if you crawl underneath and look up above the bolt in the chassis is an access point so you can spray the thread.

My luck one of the bolts snapped so I am going to hacksaw the bolt out and make a new bolt.

You can now go up with a long extention and remove the 2 nuts that is my job today.

I will try to get some photos up as the next job will be the timing belt.

Out of interest has anyone fitted a 4x cam cctv and reversing system? 

Edited by Gordon

Hi I have managed to fit the turbo on my GV 2.8  I had to take out the driveshaft o/s and the chassis plate from below the air inlet hose  jubilee clip is accessed from there. There are 4 x no 12 nuts and studs on the exhaust and there are 4 x no 12 nuts on the exhaust inlet of the turbo the oil outlet bolts are no 8 x 2 put a new gasket set on and remember there are two copper washers on the oil inlet no 14 bolt having put that lot in 

I now need to flush the cooling system as there was a lot of debris .And whilst underneath 2 x steering boots and 2 x wishbones complete I am now checking the anti roll drop links and bushes. This GV although being serviced by garages that never really serviced just an oily rag.

At the behest of my wife new timing belt and drive belts which should be interesting I managed to get on the web the service imfo from vm with colour photos so if anyone needs it drop me a line it will give me something to do instead of the car 

Hi the car is id ot wa and running I made the fatal error of using Dexron III in the auto box!!!!!!!    Gear change was terrible. Sucked out the Dexron and filled with Mopar ATF+4 it is the only fluid that works. Finaly the car is working.

.Having had a 2.4 I had to work out where to go on the stow and go.