Exhaust Plume From Pull Away Or After Idle 2.5 Crd

VoyagerPig69

Question

Hi All,

My 2003 Voyager just failed its ITV due to excessive exhaust smoke.

Seems to be OK while running around but if I stop at traffic lights or idle anywhere for a minute or more, there is a massive plume of smoke when pulling away, it did rather fill the testing shed after they left it idling for about 5-10 minutes before they 'hoofed' it for the gas test. It also smells 'fuely'/ oily when this happens, smoke tends to be pale grey - blue and occasionally a big belch of black. (I know some diesels kick out black smoke on acceleration but this is embarrassing and blocks out the sun!)

A few months ago I had the alternator changed and noticed it after that (I think that maybe just coincidence) but it seems to have got worse.

Last week I changed the engine oil, oil filter, air filter and cleaned out MAF sensor and crank case breather on top of head.

I'm guessing its either the EGR valve or hoses, a dodgy injector (or more than one) or valve seals.

I'm really hoping its not rings or anything too 'internal'.

Any guesses from you bunch will be greatly appreciated, always useful to talk it through with people!

Edited by VoyagerPig69

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet