On Autotrader; 1.4 Sr Only 16K Miles

TJB

Question

I just had this pop up in my AutoTrader alerts. It's actually an SR, not an S. OK, it's probably top money but it's a stunning car and ultra low miles. Too good not to share:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904307465043?radius=1501&model=DELTA&sort=datedesc&advertising-location=at_cars&make=CHRYSLER&postcode=g840lq&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&page=1

I think if I was still searching, I'd consider breaking the bank and travelling south for it.

Edited by TJB

Hi, hopefully this car is going to be mine!  The low mileage is due to it being a Guernsey car, so low miles but perhaps a bit more clutch abuse.  I've put a deposit on it, just waiting now for the dealer to get a UK registration & MOT for it.

I would say it hasn't seen many harsh winters and salty roads etc., however I suppose it has lived in a coastal environment as Guernsey is so small you can't really get away from the sea.  I couldn't find any corrosion though, there's a tiny mark on the n/s/r bumper up where it meets the wing and signs of it being stood about (leaves & cobwebs around the under bonnet scuttle area etc) but other than that the exterior is lovely, the wheels & interior are pretty much immaculate.

As a long time Lancia fan & owner of an original Delta this one will be getting the re-badge treatment to remove the C-word!

Edited by Deltamike

Hi, hopefully this car is going to be mine!  The low mileage is due to it being a Guernsey car, so low miles but perhaps a bit more clutch abuse.  I've put a deposit on it, just waiting now for the dealer to get a UK registration & MOT for it.

I would say it hasn't seen many harsh winters and salty roads etc., however I suppose it has lived in a coastal environment as Guernsey is so small you can't really get away from the sea.  I couldn't find any corrosion though, there's a tiny mark on the n/s/r bumper up where it meets the wing and signs of it being stood about (leaves & cobwebs around the under bonnet scuttle area etc) but other than that the exterior is lovely, the wheels & interior are pretty much immaculate.

As a long time Lancia fan & owner of an original Delta this one will be getting the re-badge treatment to remove the C-word!

Enjoy the car, it looks an absolute belter. I'm not keen on white cars, but the Delta just seems to suit it, especially with the black roof.

Thanks for the kind words.  A non-nav petrol SR in white with the black roof was my preference, then with Peterborough being not too far from Norwich it all lined up.  I do think it is a tad pricey & he won't budge on that but there aren't many about & the mileage is probably one of the lowest to be found I suppose.  Not that that's a priority for me but I appreciate it does affect valuations.  And I guess he has to pay to register & MOT it, which no doubt I will be covering!

I've looked through your thread about Lancia badging which looks great; yours plus I think nearly all of the SRs I've seen have the dark alloys but on this one they are just silver.  Perhaps because it is white, I don't know?  I also don't know which centre caps to go for, I've seen on here people saying they're specific to size but the 17" do usually seem to be darker.

I have headrests, airbag, rear & side badges but I held off wheel caps & grille until I knew what car I was getting (if it had been a dark colour I'd have gone for the Momo grille), as it is I think it'll be the 'waterfall' grille & the light silver caps I've not come across yet!

post-3000-0-22362600-1557186414_thumb.jpg

Well done Mike - looks good and very similar to my car. I think the Silver wheels were an option but would need to check on my brochures. Just shout if you need any advice about the badging excercise - I wrote the original thread about changing the grille - I prefer the waterfall one as well - looks more original Lancia to me. I did the proper long way around install by removing the bumper although it can be done without...... 

Edited by Nello

Well done Mike - looks good and very similar to my car. I think the Silver wheels were an option but would need to check on my brochures. Just shout if you need any advice about the badging excercise - I wrote the original thread about changing the grille - I prefer the waterfall one as well - looks more original Lancia to me. I did the proper long way around install by removing the bumper although it can be done without...... 

Hi there, yes read & re-read your thread no end of times!  I think the vertical grille is a good look on a white car & it is more like the original Delta.  I intend to do mine that way, keep the Chrysler bits if I can (I know it seems likely the grille will break but I can't face deliberately tearing it off from the front!) to re-fit should I want to sell the car on in the future.  Also I only managed to find cloth headrests, not the correct half leather ones, but they'll do for now I think.

If you can shed any light on wheel centres that'd be awesome as I've found nothing so far but 16", 18" or the darker SR caps.  I don't have the Fiat Eper(?) software thing.  Suppose I could pop the wings off the wheel centre caps & stick some of those 60mm badges on but I'd rather do it properly.  Did you do your windows like Paul G did, I'd love to know how to remove the etching?  Then last thing will be the chrome sill plates I imagine.

Edited by Deltamike

Congrats Mike, it looks like a brand new car! 

I'm missing mine already... Regarding the wheel centres, just keep an eye out on Italian eBay as I'm sure you already are. Or you could always have the wheels powder coated to suit the darker centres I guess.

I couldn't find any leather Lancia headrests either when I was looking, and even the cloth ones were silly money so didn't bother in the end. 

Yeah don't list to that MikeyRules - he's a bodge-it merchant  :P .......... Whichever way you do the Grille the retaining clips will break off! I was very gentle and still broke a few. Were those the cloth headrests on ebay? I was watching them but holding out for a leather seat. You just won't find them without the seats. I've got some Lancia logo's to stick on like someone else did but still not got around to fixing them. People have no idea what that wing is anyway. One of my lads works for Aston Martin and he thought it was their wing logo to start with! There are some online eper sites but you need to access them in the evenings as they are too busy in the day and you always get knocked off. I will check part numbers for you asap. I just went with the stick-on badges tbh - the black and chrome logos go well. They do last although I change them every year or so - they are only about a fiver for a set. I'm too tight to fork out £80 or so for a set from Italy though I might get around to it at some point. Incidentally did you know if you secure a part number from eper you can order anything via a UK Fiat dealer. If its on eper they can get it for you. I even sourced my replacement MA Actuator from Research in Nuneaton. I think the etching was done with a Watchmakers glass polishing kit which you can polish out the old logos. The sill plates I had a Lancia logo made up - its on one of the threads. Pity you are not nearer - anyway enjoy the car and standing out from the crowd. Any issues/questions just ask here............... 

Deltamike I've just had a look through my Sales brochure and the SR 17" was darker as OE (Code 432) - there was a similar wheel in Silver but it was 16" only (Code 431) as per below.

Are you sure they have not just been refurbished without the colour? The only other 17" factory wheels were the 7 twin-spoke design which you could get in either silver or chrome'ed effect finish.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Nello

Hi, thanks for all the info much appreciated.  I can't wait to get the car, I'm looking forward to having something different to everyone else!  Might well get a chance to say hello in person, we are regularly in Coventry & Kenilworth as her family are all from there.

Shame about the grille breaking so easily, if the Lancia (or Chrysler) badge ever needed to be replaced you'd end up needing a whole new grille?  Interesting about the windows, I did wonder if you could polish the markings out.  And yes the headrests were on ebay along with an airbag, the seller sold them to me off there for a bit of a deal.  Hopefully the second hand airbag will be ok!

I've really no idea about the wheels being refurbished, there's nothing to say they have been.  I assumed they were in good condition just because of the low mileage etc.  Presumably the wheels caps would have to have been replaced or painted if the wheel colour was changed?  There is (or was) a blue SR in Bromley & a black SR in Canvey Island for sale & I think they both had silver 17" wheels but all the others I've seen have been the dark version.  Suppose it might be easier to just take the wings off the caps & use the sticky logos, save a few quid too as you say.

Well here we are 3 months later and still no car.  The reasons given are many & varied though personally I don't understand what the problem is.  It seems if I continue with this car I will need to take it as it is & do the necessary myself to get it a UK registration.  Sticking point being the potential VAT due when I submit the NOVA application however.  They can claim it back, I can't.

However if we can agree something on that for me to take the car with its Guernsey plates I will need an EU certificate of conformity to avoid an IVA test - now lots of stuff online says it should be with the owner's manual but the seller says he doesn't have the certificate.  He does have the owner's manual as I looked at it when I viewed the car but I can't recall seeing the certificate.

Does anyone know if the EU CoC is in with the manual?  If it is, could I ask would anyone send me a good quality copy?

Well here we are 3 months later and still no car.  The reasons given are many & varied though personally I don't understand what the problem is.  It seems if I continue with this car I will need to take it as it is & do the necessary myself to get it a UK registration.  Sticking point being the potential VAT due when I submit the NOVA application however.  They can claim it back, I can't.

However if we can agree something on that for me to take the car with its Guernsey plates I will need an EU certificate of conformity to avoid an IVA test - now lots of stuff online says it should be with the owner's manual but the seller says he doesn't have the certificate.  He does have the owner's manual as I looked at it when I viewed the car but I can't recall seeing the certificate.

Does anyone know if the EU CoC is in with the manual?  If it is, could I ask would anyone send me a good quality copy?

I reregistered a former UK delta in Ireland 3 years ago and I will take out the paperwork and see if there is an EU certificate of conformity number on there. Give me a day or two, to find and go through it!

Car is finally here, at long last!  Now just to navigate through the twin minefields of HMRC & DVLA...

As the car was already here lurking on its non-EU registration (& not in the NOVA system), HMRC advised I needed a 'C&E109' form to fill in.  Essentially making me the importer, so import duty & VAT on top - from the form it looks like they somehow work out the car's value to determine the tax figures. MoT booked for Tuesday, fingers crossed for that.

I reregistered a former UK delta in Ireland 3 years ago and I will take out the paperwork and see if there is an EU certificate of conformity number on there. Give me a day or two, to find and go through it!

Many thanks Andrewgrale, I just kind of assumed the CoC was a generic form but it appears they are produced by VIN.  So I have sent a request to Fiat UK for it with the other info they need & see how we go.

Edited by Deltamike

Well 2 bits of good news today, MoT passed with no advisories and Fiat have said they've sent the EU conformity certificate today free of charge.  The website says they're £120 but I'll not argue the toss!

I've got all the DVLA stuff I need to fill in & send.  The HMRC cars team in Belfast should have had the C&E109 today so I imagine the next step will be the tax bill.

I've done more in 4 days than the numpty sellers did in 3 months!

I work offshore for 3 weeks at a time & I'm due away tomorrow, so I guess nothing will happen for a bit.  Also there's something about this site the wi-fi on the platform doesn't like, so unfortunately I can't access it which is a real PITA.

Just an update on this, the HMRC bit is done - tax paid & NOVA application lodged.

All the other paperwork has now gone off to DVLA so hopefully in the prescribed 4 - 6 weeks the UK registration will be issued.

Can't wait to actually use the thing!

Great news!

Glad you are getting sorted :-D

Couldn't help starting a few things today, raining though so only inside jobs tackled!  Nothing you chaps haven't seen before I know but I'm pleased to make some progress so I hope you'll indulge me!

Not 100% sure of the headrests, better than winged ones but not the correct leather item.  I have a firm local to me called Alfashop, which some of you may have heard of.  They can get anything with an eper part number & there's usually a bit off so I may ask the question of originals.  Can't hurt to ask!  They've sourced some bits already & are enquiring of an engine cover at the minute.  I had hoped the white insert alone would be available as the Multiair covers are all the same bar that but of course no such luck.

post-3000-0-33366600-1568053571_thumb.jpgpost-3000-0-46005900-1568053577_thumb.jpgpost-3000-0-20958800-1568053583_thumb.jpg

Nice one Mike, glad it's all coming together for you! I've used Alfashop loads over the years, and Jamie Porters Workshop too. Both great for anything fiat-alfa- lancia...

For me changing the airbag was one of the biggest impacts on the interior look and feel, so a great thing to get ticked off the list!

Nice one Mike, glad it's all coming together for you! I've used Alfashop loads over the years, and Jamie Porters Workshop too. Both great for anything fiat-alfa- lancia...

For me changing the airbag was one of the biggest impacts on the interior look and feel, so a great thing to get ticked off the list!

Thanks Mike, have to say I'm chuffed with the airbag.  Such a simple change but a big effect.

Hoping to crack on with the rest very soon, but the thing that fill me with dread most is getting the rear badge on straight & in the correct place!

Great work. I found it a very satisfying process. And yes, biggest improvement is definitely the airbag.

I agree on the rear badge. I used the rear wiper as a centre line but initially got mine too high and had to peel it off and start again. Luckily I.always have plenty of 3M double sided badge tape.