Oil Leak - What Do You Think?

Argee

Question

Hi Everyone,  I'm looking for some advice.

I've just found a rather aggressive oil leak under my 2002 2.5CRD Grand Voyager  :(. I've added a couple of photos to see what I found.

Once I started it up, there was a regular drip about every 2 seconds from the location of a bolt head near the back left of the crank case.  The bolt goes into the bell housing.  After a few minutes oil started to seep out at the bell housing join too.

I'm wondering if it is the crankshaft oil seal that's given up.  (I seem to remember that's not an uncommon problem.)

Do you think it might be something else?

If it is the crankshaft oil seal, is it a fairly easy job?  Has anyone done one?  Is it best to do with the engine in situ, or is it best to take it out?

I've recently picked up a 2nd hand engine hoist to use on another broken vehicle, but wonder if I might have to use it on my Chrysler.  I suppose I'm looking for the quickest option as long as it's not too awkward to do.

As ever, your advice will be very gratefully received.    

post-132-0-13549900-1547408702_thumb.png

post-132-0-03910400-1547408724_thumb.png

3 answers to this question

It sounds like a seal leaking if it is a manual transmission the crank seal is at fault. The auto seal on torque converter to box could be the problem but normally it's the crank seal but you can tell if it is the auto box the oil is reddish colour if black it's engine. Put some cardboard under gearbox engine to see just make sure it's not the sump gasket leaking as it can be deceiving.

Edited by BumBle02

It sounds like a seal leaking if it is a manual transmission the crank seal is at fault. The auto seal on torque converter to box could be the problem but normally it's the crank seal but you can tell if it is the auto box the oil is reddish colour if black it's engine. Put some cardboard under gearbox engine to see just make sure it's not the sump gasket leaking as it can be deceiving.

Hi BumBle02, Thanks for the response.  Mine is a manual gearbox.  The oil is black and definitely not from the sump (although it could do with a new gasket.)

I've had a look at the service manual for the 2.5 CRD and it looks like there are 2 seals for the crankshaft - but looking online, a lot of places seem to have a third item that looks like a ring with holes in it. Any idea what that piece is for?

s-l1600.jpg

Have you ever done a rear crankshaft oil seal change?  If so, any tips?

Cheers.

Argee

Hi If you need a 2,5 engine service what tells you all buy a LDV maxus service work book it tells you every think you want to know The maxus is the same engine as the vorager 2.5 crd it's on Ebay worth every penny one word of warning only buy genuine seals as some are a bad fit on the cheaper sets the one in the picture looks to be right by my book it is a three piece set and make sure you oil the seals when fitting the book will tell you all you need to know engine stays in car give the seller the vin number for the right parts.Jeff

Edited by BumBle02