Servicing - Fuel Filter

Italianstallionxx

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi there!

From your other post I deduce you've got a diesel, so yes indeed a diesel fuel filter is right at 20,000 KILOMETERS, 12,500 miles, according to my Chrysler owners manual.

It's just that on modern vehicles, which these aren't really (definitely not the petrol push rod engine!!) garages tend not to do that kind of thing - "oh they'll be ok" attitude.

If you think that's bad, the oil & filter intervals for the petrol engine model, with town work stop start driving, is 3000 miles!!!! It goes to the heady heights of 7500 miles if driven more "normally". Obviously I stick religiously to that ha ha.

The diesel owner guys will assist on this I'm sure, and warn of the potential follow on problems if it's not done correctly. There also appears to be a couple of locations the fuel filter may be - from memory underneath next to the tank, or in the engine bay, and you may or may not have a hand primer bulb on yours.

If you don't have the hand primer it could be best to get a garage to do it for you. On my diesel 07 Galaxy it was a complete and utter git of a job to get it running again, including the help of my neighbour who has a fuel vacuum hand pump, a proper one, (he works for Ford).

Like not changing brake fluid on a many years old "full" service, never heard of it being done, in fairness it's not even in the Chrysler book.

Edited by bignev

Hi,

Just to add to Nev's post as some good info in there, yes assuming Diesel it's listed at 20k km, HOWEVER I'd really recommend yearly. The junk the filters have to deal with I've found that each year I do mine they get a waxy like build up on them which I'm assuming is the biodiesel mix going into most fuels now, and using logic if its covered in waxy deposits then it won't be letting the fuel flow through it as easily.

Doing it properly is straight forward though, for the rear filter by the tank, just follow the simple steps, I've done a video on changing that filter so just search for it and you just need to make sure the housing isn't damaged, etc.

For the one in the engine bay, I believe it's a fairly similar procedure.

Luckily on these beasts the re-prime isn't too difficult and doesn't need a garage to re-prime the system and get it flowing again (A lot of diesels if their fuel line goes dry/bubbles then they struggle to start again as @@bignev mentions, but in our case that's not the problem).

So check which one you have and order it accordingly.