Aftermarket Radio Setup

BumBle02

Question

Hi To all got a good Kenwood unit with the 500I iPod unit  I've bought a  converter with the connections to fit my 2007 I've got a  standard radio with the single cd don't know if a amplifier is fitted in there. Are they easy to convert over thanks.

Edited by BumBle02

11 answers to this question

Hi pal, from what I read of most of the guys who've tried it - NOPE not easy, but I'm sure they'll always be an exception, hopefully you're going to be it!!

And hopefully those connector adaptors work well.

Do your speakers have "Infinity" on them? If so then pretty sure you've got the Chrysler amp hidden in the back somewhere, could be either side, they couldn't make their minds up.

That'll make it interesting, one I'll stay away from - I'm not that good with that kind of thing usually!

Well everybody found a easy solution take the blue radio antenna wire in to the engine department to the fuse box in side you will find a relay it's the one nearest to the head light wing side connect wire to pin 87 that will turn on the amp when you switch on the radio alternately you could put a accessory live wire in fuse box to 87 so it will activate it save running a wire though bulkhead. Bumble

Edited by BumBle02

Hi there,

Yep blue wire to force the amplifier ON will work, BUT you'll find what I did when doing a lot of investigations, you won't have front/rear control from your new head unit, the factory amp does some weirdy tricks to do that.

If you want a bit of reading I've written a load of info on my adventures on my blog about it: http://www.thebmwz3.co.uk/2017/12/chrysler-audio-system-amplifier-and.html (and you've already seen my youtube stuff BumBle02).

I've had two CGV's now (And looked at several other peoples!) and almost each one has had a slightly different audio wiring and setup, so my general thinking is, try the cheap/easy option of a cable/converter cable first (This worked on my first GV, which for some reason I think had MUCH better audio than my second, even though I suspect my first didn't have infinity!). Then from there work downwards doing more testing and figuring it out.

The long and the short of it, is if you stick with factory amp then you can get audio through it by doing some tweaks, but results may vary. Only true way of solving is the route I took which is to remove the factory amp and drive the speakers direct from the head unit.

(BTW: Infinity stamped on the speakers isn't always a sign of a factory amp, mine has factory amp and no Infinity on the outside, only when you take them apart you see the Infinity label)

Edited by andyb2000

Hi Big daddy No this one as one in o/s rear side getting the lot out next week new speakers all around  6x9 x4 5.25x2 amp under seat small sub as well metre 70-6504 amp bypass lead Kenwood dab radio when finished it better sound good on a CGV 2007 with the can bus setup.

Edited by BumBle02