Self Bleeding Brakes?

cyborx

Question

well, heres a little tale with a BIG question attached ;)

having recently tackled the (non)handbrick on my 2003 Mk4 CV driven by an MOT fail i managed somehow to dink a small hole in the rear O/S brake pipe

after throwing the tools in the boot in disgust and spending the night browsing the web to find a replacement i go out in the morning to find my drive awash with fluid,, oooh bugger! i thinks.

later that day said part arrives (£48 from eurocarparts) and gets banged onto the car, fills the now empty reservoir with Dot4 and i huddle down with bleeding gear to do the deed, mrs on the pedal and  pump.

'Squirt' oh god! i forgot to replace the crush washers on the banjo joint, too late to run around to the local car spares shed so yet another wait, next day i am greeted with another fluid lake washing the drive (thank god its slabbed) so on the phone i go but no avail as the washers are not readily available locally so another trip on computer and Amazon comes up trumps (prime next day too).

so! new crush washers in and all tightened down, res refilled and all prepped for bleeding.

mrs starts engine, pumps pedal, i crack nipple aaaannd nothing, expecting the bleed jar to erupt like a Jacuzzi i am just about to sent tools into orbit and i realize what my brain had not at first registered, fluid level had risen slightly so i have another go and sure enough it does.

now heres the question, knowing that there is at least 750 ml of fluid (the amount replaced in total) on the drive and NOT ONE BUBBLE of air in the bleed jar, is it possible  for these brakes to self bleed by gravity?

i have road tested the brakes with a 10 mile run and they are the best that i have ever had, no sponginess, no fade off and no pulling either side.

im worried that they are going to bite me in the backside at the retest tomorrow ? ??

2 answers to this question