Help Needed Asap

randyrabbit

Question

car driving normaly airbag light came on went off when i pulled up at home car cut out i turned the key it started and cut out turned the key again engine did not turn over so i turned on the ignition and  no sound from fuel pump engine still did not turn over any ideas please by the way its an automatic

6 answers to this question

Sounds electrical to me, when you go to start do you hear a click/tick or anything or completely dead, I'm assuming when turning ignition on you get dash lights, radio comes on, etc?

Two things come to mind, first is immobiliser, does yours have the red LED on the dash, when key goes in does it go out? Try the spare key as the chip in the key is important and can wear out or the receiver ring starts to go faulty and won't disable the immobiliser.

Second i'd be thinking the battery or alternator has just failed on you (Or both) and battery can't give enough current to run the starter motor (as the guys have said, Airbag light comes on typically when battery is low as airbag systems don't like a low voltage).

Get a multimeter/voltage meter and see what the battery is giving out. You should be around 12v with nothing turned on at the battery terminals, turn ignition on (so dash comes on) and look, if it drops below around 11.5v then you might have a problem, get somebody to try and start it and watch the meter if it drops really low then it's the battery is dead, you can try recharging it overnight and try again, but it might already be too far gone.

As for cause, that's where you find out if the alternator is also goosed as if it's not been charging properly then that'll cause slow degradation of the battery.

Edited by andyb2000