Hi Everyone,im Simon And Have Problems

glitteringprize

We bought our 3.0 estate last march.It tows very well and we love driving it,but its been off the road for 3 weeks now.My partner said she could smell something hot on front drivers side.So i decided to fit new brakes.On fitting new discs and pads all round i noticed that both handbrake acuators were seized and one was mounted upside down.Also drivers rear was down to bare metal.The front pass side slider pin was seized and had bent with pulling from one side.All this after 4000 miles,i dont see how it was ever road worthy.Anyway,i have replaced all that and took it for a test drive only to fing that the drivers front has locked on.Cant turn the wheel by hand.So im replacing the whole caliper.Is it possible for me to squeeze the brake hose with mole grips while i undo the banjo bolt and fit new caliper.Then when fitted and new seal washers on bolt and torqued up simply release the grips and loosen bleed nipple and pump some fluid through then re-tighten.I have been informed also to tap the caliper as twin piston units are more prone to trapped air.

Hi mate, I'll get this moved to the relevant section for you, but you didn't list what model it is? I'm guessing the 300c, but just wanted to check..?

Yes its the 300c diesel estate.We are unsure wether to sell it and get a 4x4 again .Just seems to be a pain especially considering how much it cost.So,are these cars any good,i know they look good and are nice to drive but that dont get us on holiday

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't have any experience of the 300 c but i've fixed brakes before several times. I would never clamp the flexi pipe with mole grips, they might pinch the rubber and cause the pipe to fracture or leak.

You can buy a tool which is made specifically for the job, the tool has cushioned jaws where it grips the pipe, i have not seen any for a long while though, mind to be honest i haven't looked!

The rest of your procedure looks about right though.