Quite Possibly The Funniest Delta Review Out There!

MikeyRules

Question

19 answers to this question

Have a look at this chaps... It made me laugh!

Yeah seen that before, he was very over optimistic the sales figures in Ireland turned out to be minuscule barely into two figures if I remember right. The UK in comparison did not too bad in the first full year of sales then fell off a cliff. The very negative press reviews I the UK probably didn't help and to be fair you'd have to be fairly eccentric to buy one but who wants to follow the herd?

The leather probably isn't worth the bother unless you can get the dash and centre console with the leather cover. Not sure if the leather option on cheaper models is poltrona frau or not. It certainly doesn't have the executive rear seat although in some ways that isn't a bad thing my back seat is too thick to fold properly and it doesn't have the slide function, if you do have rear seat passengers it is a lot more comfy than the rather flat standard issue seat though. Edited by Rossocorsa

Yeah the dash is a nice touch, and reminds me of the Brera S... I wish the front seat were longer in the base though! My Ti's have all had extendable squabs, so you can alter the length to get more leg support.

The rear seats are great as my little girl is still in a car seat but still has lots of room for her legs and can't even kick the seat in front which is a bonus. On the few occasions my wife has been in the back she preferred it over my last 159ti Sportwagon for space and comfort especially when reclined.

I don't find the seat base too bad but the driving position takes a bit of adapting to, having had fulvias, 2000HF, prisma, Dedra turbo, Delta HF HPE etc. I am used to sitting quite low and long armed in an Italian car but found I need to sit a tad higher also the pedal layout is cranky I set the seat so that I can only just fully depress the clutch with tiptoe and find that fine ( the clutch disengages way before the end of travel anyway). Stuart's lhd 1.9 twin turbo doesn't seem to suffer so the pedals are a RHD thing. Edited by Rossocorsa

I don't find the seat base too bad but the driving position takes a bit of adapting to, having had fulvias, 2000HF, prisma, Dedra turbo, Delta HF HPE etc. I am used to sitting quite low and long armed in an Italian car but found I need to sit a tad higher also the pedal layout is cranky I set the seat so that I can only just fully depress the clutch with tiptoe and find that fine ( the clutch disengages way before the end of travel anyway). Stuart's lhd 1.9 twin turbo doesn't seem to suffer so the pedals are a RHD thing.

I have to say i think this guy seems to me to be a nut job, he contradicts himself about buying a Chrysler, saying he would have one if it were a Lancia, then saying he would have a Giulietta......No bodder!

I agree with the left hand drive cars  having a better pedal arrangement, maybe it's the angle the pedal "arm|" protudes from the pedal box?

He describes the thing about the car for him (for me too i guess) is it's Italian-ness, it has lots of endearing qualities, the interior lighting the reclining rear seats and the power plant is great, the rear lights are stunning, the front lights special, the front fogs are cool, the car has loads of style, inside and outside!!! unlike a Mercedes, any Mercedes! There are faults, the cup holders are of quite poor design and the front seat bases could be 50mm longer but i love it, it has lots of endearing qualities, the interior lighting the reclining rear seats and the power plant is great, theb rear lights are stunning, the front lights special, the front fogs are cool. It is also easy to live with :)

This car like the Guilietta was designed to be left hand drive. If you look at the foot wells the left hand side is much wider than the right, also in left hand drive form you have a footrest right next to the door.

Fiat/Alfa/ Lancia have been lazy with the right hand drive position just like in the Guilietta.

In right hand drive the transmission tunnel gets in the way and there's no where to put out your left foot, other than underneath the pedal. I have to say the left-hand drive Delta is a better car comfort wise and I enjoyed the 1.9tt in the 3 weeks I had it last year in Tuscany.

I have the seat similar to you Rosso in that I'm sat quite far back and usual Italian straight arm position, just with the seat at it lowest setting, steering as far towards me as it will go, and slightly reclined... I have to say it's not that bad once you get used to it, and not much different to most of the Alfa's I've owned. The 159/Brera and Spider do have better steering reach though and a decent foot rest.  

Edited by MikeyRules

I have to say i think this guy seems to me to be a nut job, he contradicts himself about buying a Chrysler, saying he would have one if it were a Lancia, then saying he would have a Giulietta......No bodder!

I agree with the left hand drive cars having a better pedal arrangement, maybe it's the angle the pedal "arm|" protudes from the pedal box?

He describes the thing about the car for him (for me too i guess) is it's Italian-ness, it has lots of endearing qualities, the interior lighting the reclining rear seats and the power plant is great, the rear lights are stunning, the front lights special, the front fogs are cool, the car has loads of style, inside and outside!!! unlike a Mercedes, any Mercedes! There are faults, the cup holders are of quite poor design and the front seat bases could be 50mm longer but i love it, it has lots of endearing qualities, the interior lighting the reclining rear seats and the power plant is great, theb rear lights are stunning, the front lights special, the front fogs are cool. It is also easy to live with :)

The marketing disaster of chrysler was always that the biggest selling point is italian design, how do you explain that when the ad men were trying to claim it originated in Detroit? Why buy a delta over a Giulietta? The more innovative but subtle Lancia style, the over fussy alfa interior details (dash looks like an accident), lashings more delta interior space and delta is £4 to 5 k cheaper second hand ......the final one rather clinches it! And who cares about cup holders, love the cooled armrest in summer though great for cans of pop!

Edited by Rossocorsa

Actually while we're on the subject of armrests... Does anybody else's squeak like mad against the drives seat?

Mine is driving me mad as it squeaks and creaks against the leather bolster. If I insert a finger (Oooh Eer) it stops! I might try and find some of that self adhesive loop (from hook & loop) material and try sticking that to the side of the seat to see if that works.

The footrest thing doesn't bother me now my feet have clearly got used to it although I do only wear size 8 so night do bad for me. The issue about a rest is I think to do with the air con and pollen filter, there is probably enough space to redesign it with one but it would make this very difficult to access, as said not much thought put in at initial design stage about RHD or they would have arranged it differently. Sad really as Lancia used to pay a lot if attention to it even swapping round the column stalks up to the Beta.

Rosso, you can argue the Lancia angle all day every day, i fully expect you will too my friend, but no one ever actually stated the cars came from Detroit, European Chryslers is what i understand them to be, Chrysler are as are FIAT and every marque owned by FIAT multinational now. FIAT it could (probably by someone~) be argued are English, maybe?

Look at the history of Lancia, i am sure you know all to well FIAT bought them out in, i think 1969, or 1971.... Since then every Lancia has been a FIAT including the Fulvia. (- oh, that ((Lancia)) V4 was a work of art...) But FIAT have pumped millions into Lancia, if not Billions. If it had worked in central Europe then maybe they would not have given up on it. Really sadly there are not enough fans of that once great marque in Europe.

Rebaging as a Chrysler is an option and for business it makes great sense If it sells cars we should all be grateful. To me FCA are a shining beacon of how to make different cars, for people who don't look at cars minus the vat and plus the BIK tax.

FCA are pumping millions into Chrysler in Europe now.

From what i heard years ago FIAT never did want to buy Alfa Romeo, still,they did and if they don't keep it Audi will offer to buy the marque again.... if they did how whould you (we all) like to be driving in Golf based Delta? I really don't want to but a Euro volkskosedi.

I don't care a monkeys about the cup holders but i think the design is poor. I don't drink tins of pop either and in the winter that armrest (which is too small) gets very warm inside, which makes it not very usefull for chocolate or beef rolls :) but then im not really bothered about that either. The foot rest is a bit of a bugger, but my size 9's also fit under the clutch pedal so it's ok :D

You will probably find that it was significantly cheaper to use the column stalks in that fashion from the Beta....

Please Rosso, see the bigger, survival picture, it's a matter of now or never. If they fail then there will be less choice in the market place.

Please Sergio, do as you see fit, just make sure it works!!!

Forza Marchionne!

Edited by schteveo

Hi

They absolutely tried to sell the cars as from Detroit, perhaps you didn't see the tv ads? Fiat absorbed Lancia in 1969, the early cars beta, thema and delta had considerable independent design, from the dedra onwards and roughly coinciding with the absorption of alfa they started using shared platforms. From this point on it all got a bit confused they seemed unable to balance the different premium brands and spent so much time/money promoting alfa that they forgot Lancia was still there letting it fade outside of Italy. I think it would have been better to curtail Lancia without rebadging chrysler as Lancia and Lancia as chrysler. selling rather second rate American cars as Lancia in Europe was never going to work, the same applies to delta, if you couldn't promote the italian flavour of the car it stood no chance as it is very eccentric, this was further clouded by the premium list pricing combined with Chryslers cheap and nasty image.

I'm not saying they should have brought delta in as a Lancia rather that if they felt they could only use the chrysler badge maybe they shouldn't have bothered at all? Lancia is now down to just the ypsilon and presumably that will be run down and not directly replaced, I will be glad if they let the brand go to be honest.

Hi

They absolutely tried to sell the cars as from Detroit, perhaps you didn't see the tv ads? Fiat absorbed Lancia in 1969, the early cars beta, thema and delta had considerable independent design, from the dedra onwards and roughly coinciding with the absorption of alfa they started using shared platforms. From this point on it all got a bit confused they seemed unable to balance the different premium brands and spent so much time/money promoting alfa that they forgot Lancia was still there letting it fade outside of Italy. I think it would have been better to curtail Lancia without rebadging chrysler as Lancia and Lancia as chrysler. selling rather second rate American cars as Lancia in Europe was never going to work, the same applies to delta, if you couldn't promote the italian flavour of the car it stood no chance as it is very eccentric, this was further clouded by the premium list pricing combined with Chryslers cheap and nasty image.

I'm not saying they should have brought delta in as a Lancia rather that if they felt they could only use the chrysler badge maybe they shouldn't have bothered at all? Lancia is now down to just the ypsilon and presumably that will be run down and not directly replaced, I will be glad if they let the brand go to be honest.

I think the main reason The Chrysler Delta happened was that Fiat were planning to re-introduce Lancia back into UK.  Then the recession happened and they cancelled the plans (after the tooling etc for RHD had been completed)  So after the Chrysler merger then this was a chance to make use of the tooling and materials they had on hand.  By this point the Delta was at end of life anyway so not much to lose.   Its a sad thing that Lancia has died, but with the merger its clear FCA have too many brands.  Lancia cant compete with Maserati as a luxury sporty brand so good bye. Fiat took over Alfa to stop Ford buying them simple as that.  It seems now they have a credible plan to bring Alfa back to its roots and rightful place in the car world. RWD lightweight sporty cars.

Jeep is the other "big global brand" for FCA and its selling in bucket loads.  I prefer the Fiat 500X though to the Renegade, but I'd love to try them both.

stuart.

you might be right but they actually spent a lot of money retooling parts for the chrysler branding that us nutters are now trying at great expense to change back! The RHD mechnical/eletrical bits were already in use in the fiat bravo so it was only really parts of the dash, headlights and rear fog/reversing that would have been on hand from the suspended launch in 2008/9