Delta 12 Plate: Rear Light Cluster Info....

Penguin2007

Question

Hi All

Had an error warning come up on the Delta dash within a few days of purchase - looks like an 'orange spark plug' ... with 'check LHS turn indicator'.

The warning light self corrects if i) you switch the ignition off or ii) you turn on the left hand indicator or iii) if you open and lock the car door with the spare key at the garage leaving the engine running on forecourt.

The car went in with my other fault, (cruise control & hill start) but the computer diagnostics download did not have any error messages for this fault.

After a hairy trip out, with no left turn indicators at all - the car was taken back to the seller, and referred on to Chrysler for a diagnosis check. (Remembered to take a photo of the dash light to prove the point). It was the third time, I had been back to seller with same fault.

LUCKILY this time, the error had been recorded by the on board diagnostics computer, and it turns out to be a faulty rear light cluster. A complete replacement required - even though its just the left turn indicator.

Thats the good news.

The bad news is the nearest replacement part is in ..... Italy!

Ordered, and hopefully here before I venture off on my tour to Scotland next week.

[i do not know the error code that has been thrown up on the Chrysler diagnostic checker].

Regards

Chris

Morris A35 Van, Ford Cortina Mk3, Ford Cortina Mk4, Fiat Uno x 2, Fiat Punto, Fiat Tipo, Fiat Bravo x 2, Fiat Stilo, Fiat Bravo, and now ... Chrysler Delta 1.6 Sat Nav plus

:rolleyes:

I meant autodoc.co.uk no cheaper than you bought anyway

Thanks for the link fella (y)

They are actually £6 cheaper as they're doing free delivery :P

...Also I would have possibly had it by tomorrow as they're in the UK... Mines not left Germany yet! :rolleyes:

Edited by MikeyRules

You were right fella, they're deffo in Europe.

Right well just to update... My new light cluster arrived while I was on holiday so I had only got around to fit it the other day. The new one has cured the fault, so obviously it was the old cluster, so in one way I'm glad it did the trick, but in another annoyed the old one has failed in under 5 years!

So there must be some sort of circuit board inside that makes the unit flash for hazards and indicators that got a dry joint or similar failure? What was weird was the indicator still flashed once, and would flash the required amount of times for alarm arm and disarm. So in other words all LED'S still functioning, and power being provided. One of my neighbours is more patient than me is going to take the old one apart at some point to diagnose the issue, so I'll update if we get to the bottom of it.

Well for scientific purposes :D  I ripped carefully opened my old rear light unit and here are my observations:

The unit isn't a sealed unit at all, but because the outer clear lens overlaps the edges of the casing it makes it impossible to open as you can't get your plastic prise bar down the side without causing damage to the lens cover.

As you can see from the picture you can clearly see the 3 rows of LED's. The indicator row is connected directly to the circuit board with the ribbon cable, and the two rows of side/brake lights are bridged together and then connected to the board.

Is it repairable Mikey?

I would say so probably if you can diagnose a dry joint or failed circuit on the main PCB board. As stated though I trashed the lens to get it open because the silly design means it overlaps the edges and you can't prize it apart without it shattering. Although having said that I reckon now I know where the retaining points are I could possibly without damage next time.

The other very annoying thing with the Delta rear light units - especially for those with light/white cars - is there is a small gap between the black plastic rear casing and the the clear lens which allows over time water to flow around and gradually 'green moss' up! I removed both my rears the other day and its virtually impossible to get anything down inbetween to clean. By removing the lights allows you to clean around the bodywork edges nicely but very annoying you cannot get in to that gap. Only suggestion would be a high pressure air line to blast it out if you are fortunate enough to have access to one.

Edited by Nello

Hi Guys......

Just thought I would jump in on this one first.......

I aim to take them off (come the Spring)......clean them up, and just run a small modeling brush ,or spray, whichever is easiest.some Matt,or gloss black paint on the clear perspex lip.....

The colour of my 1.4 SE is Dark Grey,so it should look ok.

I have whipped them off to clean the crud a couple of times, it's fairly easy.

Edited by Cassino

My rear left indicator has stopped working. Same strange issues, alarm set and unset it works fine. there are some days it would work, but most days its not, it will flash once and then stay off. I'm really hoping its not the Taillight itself as they cost money and my MOT is only a few weeks away.

Does anyone know the location of the flasher relay unit and how easy is it to replace?

I took both of my lights out to clean away 7 years worth of accumulated crud and algae. I noticed the little box of relays and fuses. Mine was taped to the loom that runs over the wheel arch. Looks to have been like that from the factory. So far all working fine.

It all came apart and went back together again reasonably easily. Has anyone else noticed the little rubber "cushions"; 6 on each light unit that seem to fall off in to the void for the light cluster? I re fixed mine with some double sided tape and the light seems to have a little more clearance between its outer edge and the body. Wondering if these things are there to allow an element of drainage round the light but fall off, causing the light to drop slightly and get manky round the edge.

On another light related issue, has anyone else had their rear fog and reversing lights fill with water? I've taken mine out, cleaned up the bulb holders, fitted new bulbs, smear of petroleum jelly on the bulb holder seal and sealed the casings up with Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure; brilliant stuff for sorting this kind of problem out.

Yes my box of relays appeared to be loose in the wheelarch when I first removed my lights. 

And yes Tim those 'cushions' came off mine too - I re-fixed as well although as you say the bigger the gap probably the more crud! Its even worse when your car is white!

My rear fog and reserve appear intact though.......................

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure sounds like something you ask discreetly for from the chemist!

Edited by Nello

Had a quick look on eper but currently too busy on the online version. If anyone knows the part number I should be able to look it up and it should show the location although it will probably need to be the Lancia/FCA Part number rather than the Chrysler one. I'll have another look in the evening when its quieter and I won't keep getting disconnected!

Just an update. I removed the cover around the steering column, the panel with the small shelf by your right knee and the instrument binnicle. No sign of a flasher unit.

However, what's strange is the ticking sound of the indicator comes from inside the instrument binnicle. Testing the indicator without the instruments plugged in..... The indicators still work, but without the ticking sound (bar the rear left which is the broken one).

I decided to test the tail light unit, so I swapped the left and right tail light around. The right light worked perfectly when it was plugged into the left side. The left light however didn't work when plugged into the right side. So it's definitely the rear left tail light unit, and not any loose wiring or relay.

Time to order one

Yes - getting a fairly common failure then - Mine was the nearside as well. Pretty disappointing when you are led to believe LED's have a longer life..........

I actually don't think it's the LED's. I'm pretty sure it's the circuit board inside the light cluster. The plastic housing for the light cluster lets in damp and that will what will be erroding away at the circuits. Don't forget the light unit still functions on remote alarm/disarm, so that shows the actual LED's still perform, just not when the signal for indicating is sent.

I think it failed on all occasions on mine Mikey - although its a pretty futuristic part on the Nuova Delta (actually one of my favourite looking parts) I think its quite poorly manufactured. I recall how surprised I was in how easy it was to remove as well.

Edited by Nello